1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured KJV to “UNV” and back

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 19, 2020.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A number of folks on the Baptist Board seem to “make a living” debating about Bible versions. This post is not intended for debate, although some of you can find a reason to do so (and of course this is a debate forum). However, a better response might be to relate your journey to where landed on your Bible preference, rather than making this one more version debate. My purpose here is to show that sometimes our experiences are not what others might assume.

Many people assume many of us “older folks” prefer the King James Bible because we grew up with it. No doubt that is, but it doesn’t reflect the whole story.

For the most part, my memories go back to the early 1960s. My first Bible was a King James Version. Back then in our churches around here practically everyone used the King James Bible. However, there was little talk or teaching about it. Mainly, folks believed their Bible was trustworthy and were skeptical of the new Revised Standard Version. Seems associations and convention in the South had warned against it. The New American Standard Bible was once mentioned in our pulpit by a young visiting preacher. His idea of it was that the NASB was just the KJV with some newer, more up-to-date words (“you” for “thou” type stuff). Seems everyone took his statement at face value and there was little of no reaction to it. (His statement was incorrect, though he may have believed what he said.)

I doubt I ever carried a different version of the Bible to use in church, though I really don’t remember for certain. Nevertheless, I was not committed to the sole use of the King James Bible. In fact, I guess I thought it was sort of outdated. In Sunday School when I was a nearly-grown teenager I would read from the King James Bible and “translate” it into modern English as I was read (changing pronouns and verbs and such like to the way we talked). I think I had a Living Bible back when those were popular. Older people used and trusted the King James Bible, but I don’t remember any specific talk or discussion of “King James Only” in our circles.

After I surrendered to preach, I enrolled in a Bible College. It was generally conservative but somewhat progressive. They took the position on the Bible that only the original autographs were inspired. It was here I began my journey back to confidence in the King James Bible.

This Bible College was covertly “anti-King James.” They did not appear so outwardly to the churches, but were so within the four walls of their sanctum. I was “UNV” – unaligned with any particular version (and largely unaware of a versions debate). It was the school’s mixed message which eventually caused me to study the subject of Bible versions and decide I preferred the King James Bible. I started with books popular at the time, such as Which Bible by David Otis Fuller (pro) and The King James Version Debate by D. A. Carson (con), as well as The Men Behind the King James Version by Gustavus S. Paine (about the translators).

Most of the instructors at the Bible College were also pastors. Many were from generations that grew up using the King James Bible, and they preached from the King James Bible in their churches. (I think there were two exceptions.) Though they took the position that only the autographs were inspired and that other versions – particularly the NASB – were better than the KJV, they always recommended the student preachers to use the King James Bible when they visited and filled in at churches.

In the classroom they spoke plainly about their opinions of the King James Bible. In the pulpit – not so much. One leading professor emphatically exclaimed to his class (which I was in), “I had just as soon use a Catholic Bible as an Episcopalian Bible.” (But he did not!) Classroom and chapel often proceeded with a litany of what was wrong with the King James translation of this or that in the texts being studied. Perhaps it was what I perceived as hypocrisy that bothered me the most. At the end of the year I concluded that higher-learning experience and did not return. The quest of learning about the Bible continued as part of my larger journey of learning about the church.

So there you have a journey. An outwardly neutral anti-KJV school took an unaligned student and turned him toward a KJV supporter. It doesn’t make me right or wrong, but it is my journey. It is not what many people might suppose about “older” King James Bible supporters. Being “old” and using the KJV is not necessarily a default position.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly does "UNV" stand for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a made up term.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTR, I've three versions I use almost exclusively, KJV, ASV, YLT.

Yep. :)

The 'rest of the story' is that I've also a small library of Bible tools and commentaries related to the KJV.

You ever wonder why? Is this common?

5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was the "N" that was throwing me off the most. Thanks!

6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad to have the time to take some Bible college and seminary classes at home. And I am glad to have taken some secular college to compare it to. And I am glad to have attended more than one denomination with default practices NOT to send their ministers to seminary.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but I do not know the answer.
    My experience is not varied enough to give a great answer, but I would guess that, yes, it is common. If one excludes the fundamentalist Bible Colleges that are KJVO, the rest are probably ambivalent toward the KJV, at best, and more likely opposed to promoting and using it.

8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best translation is the one you read. No hereticsl translations

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that means no more NWT or Smith inspired Kjv eh?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved by the Lord while a Freshman at college. and the first bible had was a Lindsell LB, and while the notes were really good, the "translation" was not to me! never had read a bible before being saved, so the pastor recommended to me ther Nas, and still have the 1977 Ryrie bought back then...

Then bough for my wife her 1984 Niv SB, and also got 2 sons 1984 Niv, and kept my Nas, and also now have Esv....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gave NLTs to your sons.

12. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a video review about the Lindsell LB. Interesting. I never heard of it, before you mentioned it. The LB interests me because it is not being updated anymore.

13. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Living Bible is a paraphrase. Not a real translation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But it still interests me because it is at least given as much respect an unabridged copy of Old Yeller.

• Like Like x 1
  15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My "journey" was somewhat different. When I was saved in 1979, it was thru hearing the word of God from the NASV as read to me by my dad. While we knew of other BVs, he told me the NASV was his fave for now, til something better came along.(He later added the NKJV to his list.) So, I used it at the time, but I had begun studying older versions for a broader overview of Scripture.

I had heard of KJVO, but paid little attention to it until one day in 1982, after dad & I had conducted an impromptu Bible study with some kids in a park, five men approached us, & one angrily demanded why we had corrupted their kids by teaching them from another version besides the KJV. The guy even interjected some "cussing" in his blather. Neither dad nor I were small men, & we stood up; I picked up a coupla ball bats from the back of my truck, handed one to dad, & kindly suggested those men move on. They did; end of incident.

From then on, I began to learn all I could about KJVO, to see if it was legitimate or not. I read the KJV from cover to cover, & found no Scriptural support for KJVO. I found, im the local library, that KJVO was entirely man-made, & that the 'foundation stone' of the modern version of it was a book by a CULT OFFICIAL. And I found out that several points of the doctrine were false. As I was then, as now, a believer in Sola Scriptura, I saw for myself that it was entirely-false, that GOD WAS NOT LIMITED to any one translation in any language. 'Twas then that KJVO became 'the KJVO myth' to me. And I have worked against that false doctrine ever since. (As well as against other false doctrines such as preterism, & quasi/pseudo-Christian cults such as the aforementioned SDA, JW, LDS, many branches of pentecostals, & much of the RCC.)

If more KJVOs would carefully read the preface to the AV 1611, the original KJVO, written by its makers, they'd drop their KJVO myth a lot faster than they'd picked it up !

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it also came in different translations, would have been great if was done for nas or the Esv!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a lot better if they would just accept that the Nkjv had improved the Kjv, and just used that now on!

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJVOs try to elevate the KJV above its status of simply being a pretty good Bible translation, into some kinda icon, with some even WORSHIPPING it, as does "Rev." Stephen Anderson.

I wish every KJV copy & edition had the preface "To The Reader" in it, as did the AV 1611. That preface shows its makers' intent in making the AV1611, & also shows that not even those cats were KJVO !

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJVO and Islam both see their "bible" as being perfect and inspired!

20. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not being copyrighted is not nothing.