1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV translation problem?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

He's obsessed with me!:laugh:

David did not murder Uriah, he had him murdered at the hands of the Philistines in an act of war which otherwise would not have been murder as it was in war.

David did kill Uriah in that he ordered his death by commandming Jonadab to pull his men back in the heat of the battle KNOWING Uriah would die.

Jonadab was an accomplice to murder even though he was only following the order of the king.

David violated the commandment "Thou shalt not kill": neither the Philistines not Jonadab were guilty of killing Uriah except that the Philistines were guilty of fighting against God's people and would have killed in war.

If we don't make it perfectly clear the differences by the words we fall into the hands of agnostics who bring accusation against the very governments that carry out the command to put to death those guilty of killing for profit or gain and in a rage. Those who rail against the act of punishment by death would then have an advantage that would add to the degradation of society by allowing those who are worthy to be put to death to end up roaming our streets due to their failure to follow the explicit commands found within the Bible.

Brian Nichols comes to mind to show exactly what this failure is producing in our court systems right here in the Good Ol' USA!:tear:

For those who do not know Brian Nichols: on a rampage to escape the Fulton County Courthouse, took a pistol from a female officer, shot her in the struggle, only wounding her. Then proceeded out into the courtroom shooting and killing the judge and a federal officer of the court. He then in the same rampage shot and wounded another person, I think it was the court reporter.

He's received several consecutive life sentences without parole from the Georgia State Courts. It is now up to the Federal Courts to pursue a hearing to possibly condemn him to the death penalty.

Why is it some one like this should be allowed to live on a taxpayer's expense? I know, it's called NO JUSTICE!:tonofbricks:

2. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

I think this is probably something like beating a dead horse; but!. Quickly checking most of the versions I have on hand. The KJV, NKJV, NASB, and NIV, all use the word Murder in Matt: 19:18.

While only the RSV, and Amplified use Kill. Strangely these are two versions, I will likely not recommend to anyone.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, Sal, lemme say I fully agree with you about the death penalty. I believe it's under-used. I prefer the Russian method.

Ever hear of Andrei Chikatilo, the "Rostov Ripper", a Russina serial killer who possibly whacked 56 people? He received a VERY fair trial, had a whole battery of competent lawyers provided for him at govt. expense, who managed to draw the trial out for over 6 months. Finally, he was found guilty in 1994 & sentenced to death. Soon after, one night, three armed guards went to his cell, tied him to a chair, & one of them shot him in the backa the head with a 7.62 MM rifle, zipped the corpse into a body bag, & made several other inmates clean up the mess & load the body into a truck. No muss, no fuss, no headlines until he was dead.

Now, about your history-You try vainly to defend KJVO, butcha oughtta take some time to READ THE KJV first. The people Israel was fighting at the time of the Uriah incident were the AMMONITES, not the Philistines. the incident which started this war was a show of friendship by David, following the death of his friend Nahash, king of Ammon. Dave sent some ambassadors to Nahash's son & successor, Hanun, to express condolences & friendship. But hanun's court advisors convinced him Dave's men were spies, so Hanun greatlyshamed them by shaving off their beards & cutting off their clothes above the buttocks. This provoked the war, which was described in 1 Chron. 19-20.

The general of the Israelis was JOAB, not Jonadab. Jonadab was a Kenite, a descendant of Rechab, & was a close friend of Jehu, who slew Ahab's family and became king.

I believe God held Joab responsible for Uriah's murder, same as He did David, but He punished David immediately because he bore the greater responsibility as the leader of the plot, & was closer to God than Joab was.(Joab also had the murders of Abner and Absalom over his head.)

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Which MV did Sal get his version of the story from? All mine read the same as the KJV.:smilewinkgrin:

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

At least I was working from my failing memory and made a slight mistake: Jo-n-a-da-b.

I do not believe God would hold him equally accountable due to his failure to follow orders would have also added to the charges against David. Why?, Because he would submitted to his authority and knew not the why of the matter else he would have refused and ultimately sealed his fate for disobedience to the king's decree.

Thou shalt not kill and the N.T. rendering "thou shalt do no murder" are truly one in the same, excepting that "to kill" also includes other instances "murder" does not.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You overly flatter yourself -

>
    >
    >
    >
    As usual. :rolleyes:

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nice to know I am not alone among those starting to suffer from 'Old-Timer's Disease.

Incidentally, I've heard there are three progressive signs of men getting older?

First, they start to forget names:

Second, they forget to zip up.

Third, they forget to zip down.

Ed

#67 EdSutton, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Of course, if you won't flatter me I am left with no choice!:thumbsup:

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Looks like you really have something to look forward to!:sleep: