1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured KJVO vs any other translation(s).

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Paul from Antioch, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my POV, the storm hit with the publication of the NASB.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is really odd, as have read where even those into KJV saw it as being an "acceptable" translation!

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I remember the situation back in 1972, Dr. Stuart Custer then the Greek guru at BJU promoted the NASB. However, there was pushback from men who followed Burgeon and were not all that enthused with a translation based on the CT. By 1990 or so, the storm of pushback had strengthened into a hurricane.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is ironic is that no doubt the Kjv had "blow back" from Geneva bible only!

5. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    all along what I think about it, the actual 1611 KJVO controversy probably only REALLY took wings some time in the 1960s, probably soon after the "Good News for Modern Man" came out. BUT, be that as it may, IMHO, there always seemed to be a group of what I'd call "Radical Know-Nothings." IOW, If ANY person had the NERVE to point out JUST ONE instance wherein the 1611 KJV MIGHT be somewhat in ERROR, that person's books should be BURNED along with THEIR AUTHORS!! ......Yes, for its time (The early 17th century, the 1611 KJV probably WAS a good English version of God's Written Word, but since that time period [For us in the US, that would probably be contemporary with the 1620 landing of the Pilgrims in what's now the State of MA.]), things, including more recent discoveries that MIGHT AFFECT to some extent what God in Heaven might want His People to know about Him. This doesn't, IMHO anyway, mean that ALL subsequent "Revisions" are, per se, much better than that of the 1611 KJV, but only that, since the English language that we speak has changed somewhat. EX: The word "gay" as is found in James 2:2 to the early 17th century readers simply meant "Fashionable." In today's English, "Gay" means something different. As I earlier posted, I do like the very poetic language in which the 1611 KJV used. OTOH, poetic as it may be, I'd be careful in asserting that ABSOLUTELY EVERY WORD in the 1611 KJV is what a person living in 2021 needs to know concerning what God in Heaven would want people in 2021 to know about Him. God is ETERNAL, but the English (or for that matter, ANY LANUAGE that people in 2021 speak!) has (& probably WILL) undergo changes in its wording & in how we mortals here on earth should understand what God would want us to know about Him & what He would want His Word to us.