1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJVO

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jordan Kurecki, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do hope this is not verbatim. Cloud's target should not be Hort, but Westcott, who was, BTW, 22 at the time. (Life and Letters of Brooke Foss Westcott ... Vol. 1, page 81, London, 1903.) I would have a difficult time believing Hort said any such thing, given that Westcott was more prone to pietism than Hort.

As to its importance, you can read the whole passage and remember that — Surprise! — Wescott was Anglican (but certainly not Anglo-Catholic or an apostate like Henry Newman). Later on in the passage he remarks that he found a crucifix and "I wish it had been a cross. I wish earnestly we have not suffered superstition to have brought that infamy on the emblem of our religion which persecution never could affix to it. But I am afraid the wish is in vain."

But the real question is what does this snippet have to do with Westcott's Greek New Testament? Not a blessed thing. That Cloud would feel free to repeat (and inflate) such things damages his credibility and puts him closer to the KJVO crazies than he professes to be.

#101 rsr, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a generalization. As generalizations go, generalizations are usually wrong. There are a few such cases where there is little or no Greek manuscript support. In 1 John 5:7 and in Acts 9:5-6 to cite two such cases.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some KJVO have made those 2 out to be wizards and into occult and séances, but really think for their time, both were pretty conservative Christians!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 biggest bugaboos for KJVO seem to be the end of Mark's gospel and 1John 5:7, as if any modern bible not dully supporting that are satanic based!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most English Bible translations contain those passages. In the case of 1 Jn. 5:7,8 most versions have a full footnote referencing the disputed words.

As far as the false ending(s) of Mark 16 goes verses 9-20 are printed, though in small print, within brackets.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is "KJO-ism" depends on the heresy of double inspiration (even if it's adherents don't recognize it).

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 16:9-20 are represented in 99.8% of the evidence. Only about 3 manuscripts omit the reading. One of them has a blank column where it would have fit..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not the same. 1 John 5:7 has more evidence than Mark 16:9-20 has for its omission.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Jon I'm not in that group and really don't care what translation another brother studies, reads and quotes from... I leave them alone and they leave me alone... Being ignorant of this on going battle as I am KJV, pray tell me what is double inspiration?... Brother Glen:)

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term "double inspiration" is sometimes used for those who claim that the KJV is inspired or given by inspiration just as the original language Scriptures are. The claimed inspiration for the KJV would be considered the second or double inspiration.

Those who claim that the KJV is inspired would not typically say that the pre-1611 English Bibles of which the KJV is a revision are inspired so in effect they would be suggesting a new or second inspiration for the KJV.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you!... Now I understand... Brother Glen:)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That God inspired the Anglican translators (as a second and special inspiration) to produce the KJV. As such the KJV is the only transmission that is Gods word in the English language (other translations are human products lacking this special inspiration).

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think that? As good as I think the KJV is, there are no inerrant translations and this includes the KJV.

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Jon I have my own thoughts on the matter and will not go into it but I will step aside and let you two brethren argue about it... Just asking... Brother Glen:)

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the KJV is the inerrant Word of God, but the translation is not alone (my NASB is also the inerrant Word of God). The reason is that we are speaking of translations.

16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The poster is not saying what he thinks about the KJV, but what KJV-only reasoning would suggest.

Holders of a KJV-only view would in effect attempt to suggest, assume, or claim that the KJV is the word of God in English in some different sense than any other English translation is the word of God in English.

While perhaps admitting the fact that the KJV is a translation, holders of a KJV-only view attempt in effect to treat the KJV as though it is in a different category than all other English translations or as though it is not a translation in the same sense (univocally) as other English Bibles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't hear people on this board arguing this way, and in fact, I've never heard anyone argue this way. What the KJVO people in Britain argue is simply that the KJV is much the best translation. I don't agree with that, but it's a viewpoint.

Those who jump on the KJV-onlyists from such a great height seem to me to be erecting a straw man.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I live we have several IFB churches that believe the KJV is the only Bible that is God's Word in the English language. I attended one for awhile recently (and would gladly go back to visit).

The pastor told me he didn't believe in "double inspiration" and disagreed with Peter Ruckman on that issue (I understand why you wouldn't be familiar with Ruckman, but he was popular in certain circles on this side of the pond). I believe that in practice his position affirms the doctrine he would otherwise deny.

The strawman suggestion is out of ignorance, but I understand it is most likely due to differences in our cultures. I know many who prefer the KJV, or believe it the best translation we have available to us. But those opinions are not what I'd argue against.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the KJVO take big issues with that, as to them both passages would have no need to have brackets/margins/footnotes, as both were in the originals per them period!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as the Holy Spirit was involved in the inspiration of the originals, he was doing the same thing to make sure the 1611 team created the perfect English translation, but they neglect to accept that even the 1611 has had numerous revisions done to it over time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.