1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kushner Likely Paid No Federal Income Taxes for Years Documents Show

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, Oct 13, 2018.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kushner Likely Paid No Federal Income Taxes for Years, Documents Show

Over the past decade, Jared Kushner’s family company has spent billions of dollars buying real estate. His personal stock investments have soared. His net worth has quintupled to almost $324 million.

And yet, for several years running, Mr. Kushner — President Trump’s son-in-law and a senior White House adviser — appears to have paid almost no federal income taxes, according to confidential financial documents reviewed by The New York Times.

His low tax bills are the result of a common tax-minimizing maneuver that, year after year, generated millions of dollars in losses for Mr. Kushner, according to the documents. But the losses were only on paper — Mr. Kushner and his company did not appear to actually lose any money. The losses were driven by depreciation, a tax benefit that lets real estate investors deduct a portion of the cost of their buildings from their taxable income every year.

Mr. Trump has broken with decades of tradition by refusing to release his tax returns. But portions of a 1995 tax return previously published by The Times show trends similar to the one visible in the documents detailing Mr. Kushner’s finances. Mr. Trump at the time reported nearly $916 million in losses, which could have permitted him to avoid any federal income taxes for almost two decades.

****************************************************************************************************
    Sure, this is legal according to the tax "reform" bill the Republicans passed benefiting the rich.

Developers might have to pay capital gains taxes if they sell their properties. But the Kushners, like others in the real estate business, often avoid that tax, too, by using the proceeds of sales to buy more properties within a certain time window.

At least in part because of that perk, the Kushners’ property sales in the period covered by the documents — totaling about $2.3 billion, according to Real Capital Analytics, a research firm — generated little or no taxable income for Mr. Kushner.

Last year’s tax legislation eliminated that benefit for all industries but one: real estate.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, where's the story?

The title says no income tax, the story says almost no income tax. So how much did he pay, on what taxable income?

Throwing his net worth out there is just a red herring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see. He didn't break any laws. His accounting firm did what they were supposed to do and kept his tax liability to the legal minimums.

So what is the point? Oh, yes! He is married to the President's daughter. That means he is a thief, a rapist, a murderer, and probably plays Satan in his spare time.

Why is the loonie left so enamored with the lying politics of personal destruction.

Could it be that's all they have?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep!!!!!!

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure the IRS is aware of the situation!

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="FollowTheWay, post: 2457067, member: 11730 Mr. Trump at the time reported nearly $916 million in losses, which could have permitted him to avoid any federal income taxes for almost two decades.[/COLOR][/B]

****************************************************************************************************
    Sure, this is legal according to the tax "reform" bill the Republicans passed benefiting the rich. [/Quote]

It's called a retained corporate loss. The losses incurred can be used against profitable years to reduce taxes in the future. It's been tax law for decades. It didn't start this January. Think, man, think! How could Trump avoid federal taxes starting in 1995 if the law was only just passed in December 2017?! Do you know what you're talking about?!

Oh boy. I'm calling you on this one. Show us this law that says it I buy more property I can avoid taxes. Seriously, how does this IRS (or anyone) know the origins of the money used to buy property?

How confused are you? You claim last year's tax legislation enabled Trump to avoid taxation from 1995 onwards and now you are saying a portion of last year's legislation dealing with capital gains related to property sales was not eliminated. Make up your mind!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called a retained corporate loss. The losses incurred can be used against profitable years to reduce taxes in the future. It's been tax law for decades. It didn't start this January. Think, man, think! How could Trump avoid federal taxes starting in 1995 if the law was only just passed in December 2017?! Do you know what you're talking about?!

Oh boy. I'm calling you on this one. Show us this law that says it I buy more property I can avoid taxes. Seriously, how does this IRS (or anyone) know the origins of the money used to buy property?

How confused are you? You claim last year's tax legislation enabled Trump to avoid taxation from 1995 onwards and now you are saying a portion of last year's legislation dealing with capital gains related to property sales was not eliminated. Make up your mind!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Notice this article pointed out that this deduction was taken away for every industry EXCEPT REAL ESTATE. One guess as to why that was excluded.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the writer is mistaken. No one could avoid a capital gains tax after selling an asset for a profit by merely buying more of the asset.

Notice I asked you to show me this law. Waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pretty bad. Now I believe the same applies to all those other big companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook - they all get away with paying little or no taxes. Oh that's right, we the consumers pay their taxes for them by the higher prices they charge for just that reason. When some corporation says this or that is "free" or a "bonus" it's not.

Hey, how about all those rich liberals in Hollywood, are they paying their "fair share"?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep in mind - it was income tax....

I would like to know how much they paid in local property tax and sales tax!
    It wouldnt surprise me that his companies paid more in sales tax - that what many
    of us made!

Granted - paying property and sales tax does not excuse you from paying income tax,
    but just keep in mind that they do pay of a lot of tax.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IRS Code Title 26 U.S.C. § 1031 allowed a taxpayer to defer taxes on capital gains if there us an exchange of certain types of property, a process known as a 1031 exchange.

Before 2018, many properties were covered by Section 1031. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 repealed Section 1031 for all types of property except real property.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And 1031 is available to all property owners not just the "ultra-wealthy." It's what allows folks who lived and owned property in a high-cost housing market to sell out and move to a lower cost area and buy "more" house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is a good reason to have a tax adviser.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally speaking, 1031's only apply to business properties, not personal residences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is possible to defer taxes. OP claimed that taxes could be avoided entirely. Not the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

#15 InTheLight, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly the same thing. Taxes would be deferred until the property was sold at a profit without doing another 1031 exchange.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true. If the home were owner occupied for 2 of the last 5 years prior to the sale, and the property was rented in whole or in part for the other 3 years both the homeowners deduction and the 1031 exchange would apply.

And what kind of properties do the Trumps deal in? Personal or business properties?

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, taxes would be PAID in that case, not avoided entirely.

Quit trolling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note I qualified my statement with "generally speaking". Also note that renting a property makes it a business property.

Quit trolling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I will try to dumb this WAY down to help you understand.

I buy a business property. That business property increases in value and I sell it at a $1 million gain. I now owe Capital Gains tax on that $1 million gain.

But I do a 1031 exchange and purchase another property. But the property value has decreased since I bought it and I sell it at a $1 million loss.

ADD: $1 million gain.
    AND: $1 million loss.

EQUALS: $0 Capital gain.

How much Capital Gains tax do I owe on $0 capital gain?

I will check back in a little while to see if you can do the math, or if it was too complicated for you.