1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LA school district to fingerprint scan kids @ lunch???

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Agreed...my problem isn't with the meals per se, it's that they actively recruit folks to sign up for them; in Alabama, this includes encouraging solidly middle-class folks to sign up for these meals.

If the government is feeding kids to keep them from going hungry, that's one thing.

But when they begin to do this self-propagating racket in order to secure federal dollars (not to mention bailing out lazy parents who can afford lunches, but accept the free ride nonetheless)--that's when I have a problem.

I don't want to see kids go hungry. But I also don't want to see our tax dollars supporting sloth--and I don't want a government program to exist simply for its own sake.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm at one of those schools - 97%.

I'm glad the lunches are better in Texas. I'm appalled at what they are here. The sugar content is atrocious. Strawberry milk has about 39grams - add that to a honey bun for breakfast! I do see kids lap up every mouthful and I have others turn their nose up at all kinds of things. Lots goes in the trash. Some are very hungry. Everyone gets an application. I don't know what it's like in more affluent schools. We get peanut butter sandwiches premade from Smuckers that I think look tasty, but I see them go in the trash too.

We did get a USDA grant this year for a fresh fruit and vegetable snack in the afternoon.

I don't like the idea of finger scans, but they do always have their fingers with them and they can't wad them up, tear them up or drop them. They are also usually in the correct class batch ;)

I bring my lunch every day and the kids ask where I got different lunches. I had a kid last year tell me that he'd never paid for his lunch. I asked him who he thought did pay for it. Response: dunno.