1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Language Question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sdcoyote, Apr 28, 2024.

1. sdcoyote

sdcoyote Member

I traveled to Peru quite often during my working career and now make trips to bring medical supplies and the love of Christ to the Quechua Indians living in central Peru. They live way up in the Andes mountains.

So here is the dilemma I have had for decades now and would like your input. The Quechua's have a culture that depends on reciprocity (their word for it is "inne") or if I do something for you - you must do something for me. Their economy is based on potatoes and Llama and families help other families during planting and harvest season. To not help someone after they have helped you would be horribly disgraceful. I always accept potatoes or llama woven blankets for the medical supplies I bring. You get the picture. They do not even have a word in their language that translates to "grace."

So you see my problem. Culturally, it is quite difficult to preach or teach salvation without works. In fact I have found that is their largest barrier to accepting Christ.

I have worked with other missionaries and Pastors on this issue and they find it quite difficult as well.

Any input?

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is difficult. I wonder if @John of Japan has run into similar issues. On this forum, he'd be the one I'd ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Inne" the golden rule. As such is commanded.

How could it be communicated "inne" cannot, to be understood, to be required, that is to be grace? But can be allowed, and is commanded, as long as it is understood "inne" cannot be required, to be grace?
    "Inne" not forbidden, but never to be required to be grace.

Ephesians 2:8-9, without "inne."
    Ephesians 2:10, "inne."

#3 37818, Apr 28, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps…..

Christ gave His life for you. He demands nothing in return… but…. Expects everything. He expects your love for Him, He expects your obedience to His commands, He expects you to endure persecution for His names sake, He expects your EVERYTHING. Your life belongs to Him and He will give you rest should you come to Him.

Please always remember, God can hit straight with a crooked stick. Preach the gospel and know that God Holy Spirit makes the difference when it comes to understanding.

May God bless your ministry..

OF yeah…. You should talk to John of Japan.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though the grace of God is free through faith (Eph. 2:8,9) He also expects something in return (Eph.2:10) because of repentance (Acts 20:21) so I am not sure that the word "inne" cannot be used if done properly. As long as "inne" is not done to receive but because of receiving.

6. sdcoyote

sdcoyote Member

Thank all of you for your kind responses. Giving me ideas to think about.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I didn't see this until now. This is an excellent answer.

Since Christ died to give us eternal life, it is incredibly rude to reject Him. And if you do except Him as Savior, it is necessary to give back to Christ your life! Those who believe but do not give their lives and everything they have to Christ are actually stealing from Him (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

By the way, have you checked the Quechua Bible for how they translate "grace"? There may not be a single word for "grace" in their language, but a Bible translator can use a phrase sometimes. Here is a video about the Quechua Bible:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Japan is very similar to this in their giving and receiving. Their custom is called giri ninjo (義理, meaning "duty," plus 人情, empathy). When you are given something, you must give back.

Because of this custom and other factors, evangelism is difficult in Japan. Nevertheless, over 33 years there we did see many saved. God overcomes culture!

#8 John of Japan, May 16, 2024 at 1:57 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2024 at 2:28 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the “rudeness” example. I understand that is a very big deal in Japanese culture.

Thanks for sharing.

peace to you

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, it is a huge deal. So Japanese has multiple levels of politeness, and woe unto you if you get the level wrong. It was always fun to exchange names and/or business cards with Japanese men and watch their expression as they try to figure out where in society a missionary comes, above or below one.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mentioned that a Bible translator sometimes uses a phrase if there is no equivalent word or concept in the target language and culture. An example of this is the Japanese translation for the word "justify" (dikaioo in Greek, δικαιόω). In Japanese it has to be gi to mitomerareru (義と認められる), or, "to be recognized as righteous."