1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laptop dead?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TomVols, Jul 28, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This morning, I tried to get my laptop out of hibernation by pushing the power button. When I did, the normal process happened....it attempted to power up, the sceen went slightly backlit but dark...then stayed dark. For a while you could see the mouse pointer arrow on the dark screen, but not anymore. The CDROM drive will take a CD, the HD light occasionally comes on, and the laptop sounds like it's running, but nothing on the screen. CTRL ALT DEL does nothing. It's a Dell Inspiron 1200. ANy thoughts?

2. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

It might be the inverter board. If it is, you should be able to find one on Ebay from $10-30, but it depends on how popular of a model you have. The inverter board is something hooked to the LCD, so usually, you don't have to open the laptop case (the base where all the main "ingredients" are), but rather, only have to remove the upper LCD case, which is a somewhat formidable task, but doable if you're patient. :)

This might help,
    http://www.thattechsite.com/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=24

#2 Spoudazo, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Now, the mouse doesn't light up. I tried to hook up a monitor externally, but nothing came up. Last night, I was having trouble getting it to recognize either my wireless connection or wired connection. Info I forgot to put in the OP.
    Naturally, my sermons for tomorrow were on there, not yet printed off! :BangHead:

4. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Well, unless you can get into the BIOS and set the laptop to display on an external monitor, I don't think it would work that way either. :)

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please pardon me for insulting your intelligence...you tried using the Function key to increase the brightness?

(Again, sorry; I just try all the silly, simple things first)

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Many laptops have a Fn Key combination to switch to an external monitor or projector and turn off the built in screen. Maybe you accidentally hit that combo.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turn it on and move to different types of light and see if the display is there but very dark. If so the light is off - duh I know :laugh: but when you get to where you can see if see if you can get into power managment or whatever they call it and see if there are some monitor settings that got changed. Mine has a shut off the monitor setting. Also see if there are any brightness level settings that got set to the dimmest.

If that fails I'd go with the board or the light itself, either could be the problem, or as simple as a loose wire running to the board or light.