1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Last book of the Bible to be written - is NOT Revelation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    R.C. Sproul and many others propose a writing for the book of Revelation in the 60's and not the 90's with all other letters and the Gospel of John written after he left Patmos and went back to Ephesus.

However after looking into it more - I think that while it is true that after John left Patmos he did go to Ephesus and write the Gospel of John -- still the book of Revelation was written in the 80's or 90s while at Patmos under the orders of Domitian.

=======================

[FONT=&quot]External Evidence[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The external evidence for the late dating of Revelation is of the highest quality.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Irenaeus[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Clement of Alexandria[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 155-215) says that John returned from the isle of Patmos “after the tyrant was dead” (Who Is the Rich Man? 42), and Eusebius, known as the “Father of Church History,” identifies the “tyrant” as Domitian (Ecclesiastical History III.23).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Even Moses Stuart, America’s most prominent preterist, admitted that the “tyrant here meant is probably Domitian.” Within this narrative, Clement further speaks of John as an “old man.” If Revelation was written prior to A.D. 70, it would scarcely seem appropriate to refer to John as an old man, since he would only have been in his early sixties at this time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Victorinus[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Victorinus (late third century), author of the earliest commentary on the book of Revelation, wrote:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When John said these things, he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Caesar Domitian[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. There he saw the Apocalypse; and when at length grown old, he thought that he should receive his release by suffering; but Domitian being killed, he was liberated (Commentary on Revelation 10:11).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Jerome[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jerome (A.D. 340-420) said,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the fourteenth then after Nero, Domitian having raised up a second persecution, he [John] was banished to the island of Patmos, and wrote the Apocalypse (Lives of Illustrious Men 9).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To all of this may be added the comment of Eusebius, who contends that the historical tradition of his time (A.D. 324) placed the writing of the Apocalypse at the close of Domitian’s reign (III.18). McClintock and Strong, in contending for the later date, declare that “there is no mention in any writer of the first three centuries of any other time or place” (1969, 1064). Upon the basis of external evidence, therefore, there is little contest between the earlier and later dates.[/FONT]

#21 BobRyan, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think those dating it early are all pretty much either Pretierists or Amils, or see it as being totally symbolic in meaning!

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not preterist or amil -- I am historicist.

But in this case - the issue is the order of the books

======================================================
    [FONT=&quot]Irenaeus[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.
    ==========================================

The main issue is the order in which the books were written -- not the date that they were written. Polycarp is claiming that the Gospel of John was written after the book of Revelation.

in Christ,

Bob
    [/FONT]

#23 BobRyan, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sproul is a preterist. Anyone who denies a literal, future, and physical return of Christ has no credibility.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It is of great consequence as it effects MEANING very much.

I have always maintained Revelation is 'The Fifth Gospel'. I still say it and is more convinced that it is than ever.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    that is true!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am amill but no preterist - the two are mutually exclusive. Meanwhile Revelation regardless stays mostly if not totally symbolic. It can therefore not be used to play prophet by anyone. It requires to be used for teaching and exposition of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and as a result for explanation of the Old Testament. All these modern superior viewpoints on Revelation are just to increase the numbers of denominations.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is a preterist and I am not. My claim is that there are a number of people who accept the statement by Polycarp (John's disciple) that John went to Ephesus and wrote the gospel of John after he wrote Revelation while on Patmos.

Sproul also thinks the book of Revelation was written in the 60's - and that it applies only to events in the first century. I think he is wrong on both counts.

in Christ,

Bob

9. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Roberto, I iz guilty as charged!
    I thought everyone knew Revelation was written on the island of Patmos in the 90's.

10. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Gracias, Gerhard the Symbolic!

IMO, the most important section in Revelation is Jesus' letters to the 7 churches,
    which most today are struggling to ignore (including thou, iz I correct?).

Reason:
    Everyone's salvation is the most important thing,
    and that's what these warning letters are mostly about.

Warning:
    The NT is absolutely chuck full of warnings, and Revelation is part of the NT.
    The actual "elect" will discern and heed the revelations of the Holy Spirit re: the warnings!
    This is in spite of Satan's deceiving the church into going along with him to ignore them!

#30 evangelist-7, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Almost every conservative scholar or commentary that I pick up are unanimous in the fact that this book was written ca. 98 A.D. The ones that maintain that it was written 70 A.D or earlier usually have a hidden agenda, that is, they are either Preterists or plain liberal. The Bible, for them, is under attack. They refuse to look at the facts. This indeed is the last book of the Bible, and was put at the end of the canon for that reason, as was all of John's writings save his gospel, which was last in order of the gospels.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Gospel of John was written about 98 A.D. and as Polycarp notes - John goes to Ephesus and writes the Gospel of John -- after writing the book of Revelation at Patmos.

Almost every scholar you will ever meet - admits that Polycarp was a disciple of John.

in Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would hope that is the case.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Revelation 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
    21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Jamieson, Faucett and Brown state:

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that he was an A Mil. as most reformed are though?

Just means that while His views on Sotierology would be pretty good, those on eschatology not so much!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    revelation closed the canon of scripture, and all further revealtions from God!

17. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Spoken by a guy who was kicked out of a Pentecostal church by either God or Satan,
    or just chose to go of his own accord.

Whatever of the 3, t'was quite a disaster!

Meanwhile ... BATR ...
    Sounds to me like he is somewhat blaspheming the Holy Spirit!
    'Cause 'tis the Holy Spirit who reveals today what God wishes to have revealed.

Holy Molly, God reveals all kinds of good stuff to His people ... Gee, even in prayer! Dah!

#37 evangelist-7, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Holy Spirit led me out of classic pentscostal circles, into baptist ones, but do see that the Christians in that Assemblies of God church were saved, and also thankful a solid majority of them did NOT hold to crazy 'charasmatic chaos!"

and the Spirit has NOT given to us ANY additional revelations since canon was closed , as any so called does NOT agree with the Bible, so iare spurious and not of God!

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That man-made tradition might work - until you read history and find out that Polycarp reports that John wrote the Gospel of John when he returned to Ephesus - after being released from Patmos.

in Christ,

Bob

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Even if that were true, that gives no proof that Revelation was written at an early date. It is known that John lived into the 2nd century.