1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lastest JETS on ESV, Message, n NET bible

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Forever settled in heaven

just a quick headsup, everybody. if u can lay ur hands on the latest issue of JETS, it deals w these 3 versions fr an OT, NT, n English stylistic viewpoint--in 3 separate articles.

have fun reading (if u don't have a personal copy, beg borrow or steal, k? [​IMG] ), n talk abt it here.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Truthfully, I wasn't overly impressed by the three articles.

First, it's almost like comparing apples and oranges when you try to compare translations that occupy different methodologies. That is, when you compare an essentially literal translation (ESV) with a paraphrase (Message), it's way too easy to build a strawman out of one's own biases and preferences.

Second, the OT reviewers seemed to criticize the ESV being in the Essentially Literal camp, yet a translation will somehow fit into one camp or another. I know I'm an ESV guy, but I believe some of the criticisms against the ESV were really against the translational philosophy as a whole. Supposed inconsistencies will always be charged against literal translations, such as the NASB, et.al.

There were some helpful comments. The ESV using the word "Behold" for instance, was something I was not wild about. Yet even the NIV uses this, as one reviewer pointed out.

All-in-all, the reviews are worth reading. Just don't be too swayed by the articles. You have to take the good with the bad with the sensational at times with JETS. This is one of those times.