1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Latin root word for religion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Nov 28, 2019.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    rĕlĭgo - ONLINE LATIN DICTIONARY - Latin - English

1 to tie out of the way
    2 to bind fast
    3 to moor

Still meditating on this one. Especially as scripture has declared... “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” - Galatians 5:1

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My dad studied to be a Catholic priest until thrown out of seminary, where he left to join the Navy before marrying mother. I must say here that the Catholic priests that graduate seminary are no dummies and my dad is very learned in the Latin. He brought up the religion word at Thanksgiving time while we were watching football and I had to meditate on that one a while.

But... The bible was not written in the Latin, it was written in the Greek, and I find nothing similar in the Greek comparing religion to bondage. The religion Paul used in Galatians referred to Judaism. The religious word James used seemed to be more about worship.

3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also Hebrew and some Aramaic.
    I can't, either.

Except that there is a difference between works and grace as well as true religion and false religion.
    I agree.
    The keeping of the Law of Moses, which to them, led to God's eternal favor and salvation.
    " If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion [is] vain.
    27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world."
    ( James 1:26-27 )

Vain religion deceives the heart.
    Pure and genuine religion that is undefiled before God, is characterized by selfless acts of service, and holiness before God and men.

It is a religion of the heart, from a changed heart and a new nature.
    Christ's sheep are all new creatures in Him.
    They evidence that salvation by their enduring faith ( Hebrews 11:1 ) and good works towards those in His body, and towards all men.

May God bless you sir.

• Like Like x 1