1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Length of Sermons

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by mnw, Dec 26, 2006.

?
  1. 10-15 Minutes

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 15-20 Minutes

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. 25-30 Minutes

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. 30-35 Minutes

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. 35-40 Minutes

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 40-50 Minutes

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  7. 50+ Minutes

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Until I'm Done!

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I generally aim for 30-35 minutes. I could preach all day, but the human attention span for this sort of thinking is about 20 minutes at a shot. (Interactive lessons can be long, but I dislike those because they are too easy to get derailed.) So, generally, the first 10 minutes is spent reviewing the previous week's lesson, which reinforces the things that were said past the attention span, then I finish it.

Often, when I review is when some people first "hear" what is being said.

However, with proper preaching and teaching, the person is having to think. Unlike movies, which is passive entertainment.

I like reading text books. However, I can sit and read a novel straight through, but with a text book, I have to take breaks to let my brain absorb and relax.

Now, there have been occasions when I have preached for a long, long time, but that was entirely with the active interest and participation of those involved, but by far the exception.

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

1) How long do you preach on a Sunday Morning?
    • 25-30 minutes, but if given more time i can and usually take advantage of it.
    2) Why do you preach for that length
    • One of the last classes i took in seminary was preaching practicum, and i was only allowed 22 minutes due to the size of the class, so i still plan around that mindest.
    • Generally i can and do go until i think i've said all that God wants me to say; but i have yet to hear complaints about going too long.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An elderly lady once told me, "Quit before the people do." I have preached 65 minutes and as low as 15 minutes depending on the church.

I have a good friend who preaches for about 20 minutes and it is packed with the results of his study.