1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Less than 10% of evangelicals want shorter sermons; 30% want more in-depth teaching: survey

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Revmitchell, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fewer than 10% of evangelical Protestants want to have shorter sermons during worship, while nearly a third want more in-depth teaching, according to recently released survey data.

Grey Matter Research and Infinity Concepts released a new report last Friday titled “The Congregational Scorecard: What Evangelicals Want in a Church.”

The researchers surveyed 1,000 American evangelical Protestants, asking for their views on 14 different elements about the churches they attend for worship.

According to the report, a copy of which was emailed to The Christian Post on Monday, only 7% of respondents want sermons to be shorter, while 85% believe the sermon lengths are acceptable as they are. About 8% percent said they wanted sermons to be longer.

Less than 10% of evangelicals want shorter sermons; 30% want more in-depth teaching: survey

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want a longer sermon and a deeper sermon. I also want a shorter service. Six songs, prayer request time that is really more gossip session than prayer request, and a 10 minute meet and greet is getting on my last nerve.

• Like Like x 2
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob Jones Sr. “Stand up, Speak up, shut up!”

The attention span of an average adult is less then 15 minutes. Why would a preacher not provide some type of break to re-engage the thinking of the folks. Illustration, story, humorous anecdote, something for the folks to physically have to turn to see, the preacher moving from one side to the other, but cause the people to have to readjust so they can again engage their awareness.

Dr. Bob was all over the platform when he preached, and it wasn’t to put on a show, but to keep folks engaged in listening.

Want to know if folks are listening? Ask.

Like those reading this post.

Without looking back, who knows what was the last line written?

You looked back to either see if you were right or to see what was written, didn’t you?

So pull something similar with the assembly, see if they don’t listen more closely in the next five minutes to see what else might be pulled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the sermon is deep enough, it will hold the attention of the sheep. If it is entertaining enough, it will hold the attention of the goats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) length of sermon - as I mentioned before - I do 30-40 minutes --- any longer I will make it a two parter - which I normally don't do - as if you miss one week - you miss half (but that is another subject)

2) I go as deep as my congregation can handle - and right now that's about 5-6th grade level - previous two pastors - well, I leave it there)

3) I agree about excessive singing (I despise with CCM you stand for 20-40 minutes ....) I usually have about 4 songs - but as a good Baptist - never sing all the verses.... usually only 2 or 3 verses.

4) Prior to my becoming pastor - one individual would take prayer request in Sunday School - than spend 15-25 minutes praying during morning worship service.... When the last pastor left - this individual left - but had he stayed - there would be no extended praying in AM worship - --- I restarted Wed prayer meeting service --

5-meet and greet - if you mean during the service - I agree with you- because that is all fake! I have visited many churches - oh they would shake my hands during meet and greet - but after service they would just run off to their cliches!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I crave sermons that are in-depth and personally challenging and convicting and are accompanied by the Holy Spirit working in the church. Time would not be relevant to me if I were listening to a sermon like that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. After I re-dedicated my my Life to Christ, I sat through a 4.5 hour service that seemed like 15 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  9. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For us, week day Mass sermons are shorter, but the scripture readings are shorter, unless it’s a feast day.

You end up contemplating all of scripture over a 3 year period, but in small daily amounts.

• Like Like x 2