1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let Barack lead the Attack

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Dec 10, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy Carter is the worst President in history, bar none.

It is always open to debate. :thumbs:

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The premise that people can be Christian and support the killing of babies is foreign to me.

The premise that Christians can support a politician, or anyone else, who overtly supports the killing of babies is foreign to me.

You folks that support Obama as both a Christian and as a potential leader of the United States, are you not aware of his support of abortion, including late-term abortion, and now that you are aware will you no longer support him?

or...

Are you already aware and have some justificiation for why a man's support of the killing of babies is something that you are willing to overlook in favor of whatever other positive qualities this possible candidate may have?

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

... because, after all, the blind support of politicians who say they're pro-life has been wildly successful in halting abortions in the US, right?

Wrong. Abortions have continued despite a White House and legislative brance controlled by supposedly pro-life Repubs. Meanwhile other important issues go unresolved because the Fundie Right has a one-page hymnbook.

Perhaps there's more to running a government than a single issue...

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Right. So you have one group who covertly supports the killing of babies and another group that overtly supports the killing of babies. I understand when Christians are deceived by the liars that say they want to stop abortion, I don't understand when Christians support the ones that overtly are in favor of killing babies.

What if Obama came out in favor of post-birth infanticide? I mean really what's the difference between a late term abortion and a 1 minute old child? If he supported the 1 minute death, would you still support this devil? This isn't just "a single issue", this is murder. How does one support another who supports murder and still consider himself or herself to be Christian?

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, then, you'll just have to remain ignorant, I suppose.

What if Bugs Bunny popped out of the ground beside your computer and started speaking Farsi? What if the sky truly fell? What if? What if? What if?

Try to deal in reality for awhile. Abortion doesn't logically lead to infanticide, any more than gay marriage leads to people marrying animals.

Honestly, sometimes the Fundamentalist thought processes boggles my mind.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Thanks for your help.

I don't know. Would you vote for a Farsi speaking Bugs Bunny as well?

I did not say that it leads to it, although there is likely a good argument for it. I am saying that whether or not the baby is 1 day old or -1 day old, it is still murder and politicians who are overtly in favor of killing babies are accomplices to murder. I was asking for you to provide justification for why you support this accomplice to murder but you've led me to believe that the single issue of abortion is insignificant compared to whatever good Obama has going for him. It would also seem apparent that you believe there is such a thing as a Christian who supports abortion.

"Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." - Galatians 5:21

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

The point here is that we aren't talking about inheriting the Kingdom of God, we're talking about running a representative republic. As much as you'd like to ignore this fact, the United States is not a "Christian nation," it's a secular nation.

And as much as you'd like to ignore this fact, being "opposed" to abortion will not end the practice. The toothpaste is already out of the tube, and some of your cronies have already killed abortion doctors, which has robbed you of the moral high ground in the discussion. You also seem to be ignorant of the fact
    that if Roe v. Wade were overturned tomorrow by the Supreme Court, abortion would still be legal in states which did not specifically enact a ban upon the practice.

In short, there is not a Federal solution to the issue. If you want to stop abortions, work on curbing the demand for abortions. I know tat means actually having to do some work, which is a new concept for Fundies.

The things that can be affected Federally are things like health care, the environment, social justice, and civil rights. Republicans especially the current administration, stink at these subjects.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rufus_1611
    ...I don't understand when Christians support the ones that overtly are in favor of killing babies.

Being ignorant and failing to understand something are not necessarily the same thing.

If they are, then you are also ignorant for letting "Fundamentalist thought processes" boggle your mind.;)

I think the real problem is that you do understand why a Christian would take a stand against abortion and it is your inner conflict that is responsible for your overheated response.

#68 carpro, Dec 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Inner conflict?

OK.

I guess I should be like you, and know all of the answers.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow: so I guess you are a one-issue voter? There are several two-issue voters in this forum, and there are a few Bush acolytes who seemingly believe that the POTUS can NEVER do anything wrong, but I have never seen a one-issue voter in the discussion.

Wow: this oughta be interesting.....
    [sic]

Regards,
    BiR

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hahaaa, Terry makes a good point, which of course is ignored by the "We'll Support Anyone Who Says The Right Things" crowd.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Of course: look at these books by Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter and Newt Gingrich. I guess what someone says is more important than what they do........

Happy New Year to you and yours, tragic pizza!
    BiR

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

And the same to you and yours, my friend.

17. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They first must install a Supreme Court, that values life. All efforts at ending this senseless slaughter of our babies, ends up at the SCOTUS. President Bush, and his majority in Congress, to their credit, have done admirably in this effort.

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Good point.

I still think that the Republican Party uses the abortion issue as a hook to capture much of the evangelical vote that would disagree with them on many other issues.

I know that I used to attend a particular baptist church where, although nothing was said from the pulpit, it was understood that everyone was a republican. If someone in that church had admitted to voting for a democrat they would have been ostracized.

19. Baptist in Richmond

:confused:
    I thought that we were supposed to eschew legislating from the bench......

Happy New Year, hillclimber1,
    BiR

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

No, no, no, we eschew legislating things we disagree with from the bench.