1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Let's clear up one misconception

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, May 14, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure then you have testimonies listed - I'd love to see them.

And no, our church is not a medical facility and we cannot prescribe drugs. That's a pretty dumb statement.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is fine.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ann based on your posting here you would not believe them. Why ask for light on this matter when darkness is all you will let in?

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So what do you consider sin? Which type sin are we talking?
    Mental attitude sin
    Sins of Omission
    Sins of Commision
    Sins that we don't realize are sins, 1 John 1:9 makes it clear that we have sins in our lives we don't realize are sin, "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (known confessed) and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (unknown sin)." So if a mentally ill person who has a chemical imbalance commits a sin that he doesn't realize is sin and confesses his known sins then the unknown is forgiven with the confession of the known. Guess what if the mental illness was due to sin and he confessed let's say lieing and that was the only one he knew then God will forgive the one He didn't know to confess.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Darkness in Scripture is usually ignorance.

Ignorance is an inability to recognize or digest the complexity of issues.

When light shines on a surface that was before in the shadows, what appeared very simple, now is seen to be riddled with complexity.

A brown coffee table in dimness now can be observed to be filled with complex wood grain lines and dots; the one shade of brown now is filled with yellows and golds.

Light reveals things to be more complex than they appeared in darkness.

Your argument is characteristic of an argument born of dimness. Everything is very simple. All mental illness is sin. Simple.

But the light that Ann and others are trying to bring to you would reveal that the matter is WAY, WAY more complex than you can see in your dimness.

But you will not bear the light.

So don't accuse Ann of that which you are plainly doing yourself.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Did you read the short article and watch the video?

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I don't watch propaganda and I don't read it either.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes. It is educational and it is highly biased by drawing attention to the excesses and then attaching liable to the whole profession.

However, there are excess issues in every field of life.

Doctors who treat the human body have been around from before Egypt was, and there is a long documented history of quackery, abuse, and other excesses. There is also a long history of inappropriate diagnosis and treatment because of ignorance and lack of technological advancement.

However, such does not discredit the medical field.

I am thankful that there are folks who speak up and do not let quackery go unchecked, but that doesn't mean the whole is wrong.

As has been posted, there are those involved who are gifted and Godly. They do not run to excess, but are earnestly seeking to understand a part of the human that is the most illusive and least understood of all. It is sinful to demean their character and their desire to serve God in a profession in which He has placed them.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I spoke up for my grandson when his doctor wanted to medicate him for what she perceived as possibly having autism at 2 years old. He was talking and he wasn't socializing with other kids. Of course he wasn't in a daycare and was at home. His older brother was doing the talking. So doctors do shave that tendency. But we aren't talking about those cases we are speaking of those who truly have a mental disorder and need help.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

FAL back to my question.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You laugh FAL, yet you never answer my question, "do you ever get headaches?"
    If so what do you do about them?

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am thankful that you were insightful.

Autism is not like a light switch that is either on or off. There are levels or degrees of Autism.

I think some medical professionals are not skilled in asking enough questions to get a clear family and child environment and make a snap decision. You were wise in speaking up.

The video had a tendency to take anecdotal information and blossom to a, therefore all is evil, premiss.

The problem I see with the profession at this point in time is that they have a number of interrelated and tangled fishing nets and need more information and study to help get the ends discerned and untangled.

Unfortunately the drivers of the boat are too busy desiring a catch to clear the tangles; the nets are cast into the sea - tangles and all.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I've only read to this point on this thread and I think it should have ended here- I'm going to stop here, anyways. Great advice.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Autism does not cause a person to sin. The heart does and confessin and forsaking is the cure.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I ever post Autism causes a person to sin?