1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's discuss the differing views of Biblical Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You really think your repeated question begging fallacy of presuming determinism must be accepted is a 'missile lock?' That's cute.

False Dichotomy. There is another option which you've yet to actually engage in a debate.

2. Skandelon

Takes one to know one... :smilewinkgrin:

Oh, and at least in my system the pride and arrogance of this thread is our doing, not God's doing through secondary causes...

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: This is great given Error'ins signature. You have been thoroughly schooled by "Scandal" and now decide to launch the personal attacks :laugh:

4. Skandelon

Really? You aren't presuming the premise of determinism should be accepted as if it were 2+2=4? Sure sounds like it...

Yep. Just like I thought. You equate the Deterministic premise is just a clear and accepted as a simple math equation. That is question begging bro. In fact I can't think of a better example of question begging than this.

Still waiting for you to define why God determined to save you rather than someone else. Willy nilly or random?

5. Skandelon

For those following along, the deterministic premise assumes that the all powerful God couldn't possibly have created free autonomous creatures with the ability of first cause determinations. They ASSUME this is a logical impossibility simply because it can't be fully comprehended or defined by our limited finite understanding. They conclude instead that the creator must have created contingent creatures who act in accordance with their predetermined nature in response to their predetermined outward stimuli in a manner that they could not have done otherwise (aka animal instinct - the lion will alway desire meat over salad because that was the way he was made).

They are fine to conclude that God is a free and autonomous person who makes fully self-determined choices, and they accept the mystery of such choices, but somehow think any appeal to mystery regarding the choices of those He created in His image is unwarranted.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Skandelon

What? You're not already aware of the passages which speak of election? Without even looking I know that would be Romans 9-11, Eph 1 and 1 Peter 2. I think he is probably assuming his readers are already aware of what these passage say.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holy freaking cow. You are just nuts. I mean totally cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

This is not the assumption at all. Besides, the question isn't about what is assume, but what is stated.

Your argument is with Paul, Christ and Moses.

9. Skandelon

Mature.

Actually it is statements based upon assumptions and you assume Determinism is a given (like math or gravity) which is the fallacy of Question Begging. Just do a little study on the subject of debate fallacies and I think you will see your error.

And there you go again. This presumes Paul, Christ and Moses were deterministic just like you which IS the point up for debate.

Let me help you out. If I could simply repeat what you just said as my rebuttal it is probably question begging. Kind of like when a kid is arguing and says, "Nuh-huh! You're stupid," and his opponent just repeats him. It really is the lowest form of debate and I think you can do better.

#89 Skandelon, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically your assumption is that folks of middle-eastern descent are wiser than say, Europeans.

11. Skandelon

Translation: I, Aaron, can't debate using the actual terms and claims of my opponent, so I'll make up outrageous, unfounded, and unrelated accusations so as to distract from my deficiencies.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I just summarized your position as accurately as you summarize that of the Calvinists. Good day. :wavey:

13. Skandelon

Ok Aaron, which part of this is not accurate. Let's take it point by point:

Have you and others here not argued that libertarian freedom is a logical impossibility and God could no more have created libertarian free creatures than he could have made a rock so big that he couldn't move it? Are you now saying that God could have created free autonomous creatures with the ability of first cause choices? Or was it something else you objected to? Let's continue...

Do you not claim that libertarian freedom is illogical and thus must be dismissed, or has that changed too? Or maybe it was something else I wrote?

Is mankind not created with a nature by God? Do you not believe that nature determines what choices he will make? Do you not agree that his choice will alway be according to his God given nature/desire and God preordained plan? Do you not also agree that God is in full control over the circumstances (stimuli)? Or have you changed your views?

You don't believe God is a free and autonomous person who makes fully self-detremined choices?

What is it exactly that is not correctly representing what you have argued? Try actually forming a real argument for once.

14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This is untrue. He's actually won this long ago.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You need to stop, you are embarassing yourself at this point...

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Uh, what?? :confused:

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's meaningless and pulled out right out of the air—my derrier, that is, which is where Scandal finds his arguments. (In his own, not mine! :eek:) But for all it's nonsense, both he and and dawg thought I was being serious. :laugh:

Anyway. Done here. Once all the gas has vented two views remain, Calvinism, which is the Gospel, which says God is an elector of persons, and noncalvinsm, which says God is a respecter of persons.

18. Skandelon

And yet every arguement I've made can be substantiated with similar published arguments made by non-Calvinistic scholars, so we all know where you are pulling this from too. :thumbs:

Good idea.

Ironic how the one who holds the view that claims God picks some over others is accusing us, the view that believes God loves and provides for all mankind, of believing God is 'respecter of persons.' Just because you don't know the reason for God's choosing you over someone else doesn't excuse the fact that he does the "respecting of persons" in your system.

BTW, you never answered the question as to what determines God choice to pick you and not someone else? Oh, yeah. You are leaving now....figures.

19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe that all the above is incorrect Skandelon. God created only two persons, Adam and Eve, and only those two. I would not say they were autonomous but both had the ability to choose good or evil, obedience to God or disobedience to God.

Genesis 2:16-17, KJV
    16. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
    17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Ecclesiastes 7:29, KJV
    29. Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Sadly they chose evil, disobedience to God. As a consequence of the disobedience of Adam and Eve their progeny lost the ability to choose between good and evil.

Romans 3:10-18, KJV
    10. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
    11. There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
    12. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
    13. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
    14. Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
    15. Their feet are swift to shed blood:
    16. Destruction and misery are in their ways:
    17. And the way of peace have they not known:
    18. There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Skandelon I would say the belief that any person is autonomous, that is, subject to their own laws only, is irrational! I realize that many people act as if they were autonomous but they are not. I believe that is called humanism or is it SIN! All of us are subject to God whether we like it or not.

#99 OldRegular, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The verse is speaking of Israels rejection of Jesus.....not God's overall elective purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.