1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's see some Scriptural authority for APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to know thou art not KJVO; it's a false doctrine.

I suggested Quakers to be sarcastic about the use of Elizabethan English. They're not Christians.

And THIS is much-easier to understand:

The Lord is my shepherd;
    I shall not want.
    2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
    He leads me beside the still waters.
    3 He restores my soul;
    He leads me in the paths of righteousness
    For His name’s sake.4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil;For You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;You anoint my head with oil;My cup runs over.6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow meAll the days of my life;
    And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again. Who asked you what you thought was easier to understand when we already know that you want the latest slang version of Scripture.

The question about Psalm 23 was what was there that you did not understand about it when presented to you in King James Version. You dodge the question, didn't you?

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my viewpoint, apostolic succession is tied up with Peter as the first Pope. It is custom and tradition in a sense and who knows if something such as the laying on of hands is historically accurate. It has a chance to be and it is a nice thing to think about but other than that, who knows? That the Bishop of Rome was head of all Christians was disputed in 1054 and again 500 years ago. All three branches of Christianity are weakened by widespread apostasy and a failure to teach what is believed and why it is believed so the conflict has faded in importance to preserving what is left of the institutions. Nonetheless, Protestant adherence to the critique of the RCC has been unchanged for the last 500 years and the Eastern Orthodox have nearly a thousand years of saying that the Pope is not the vicar of Christ. The RCC has locked themselves into many doctrines unique to them and now it is being reported in the news that about 3/4ths of the RCC no longer believe in the transubstantiation. Maybe some things will just be walked away from as time goes by.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh brother.

Charles Spurgeon, 'The Common Salvation':

"You shall take a high churchman who is a truly spiritual man...and you shall set him down side by side with the most rigid member of the Society of Friends and when they begin to talk of Jesus, of the work of the Holy Spirit in the soul and the desire of their hearts after God, you will hardly know which is which! The nearer we come to Him, who is the salvation of God, the more plainly we see that among the children of God the basis of agreement is far wider than the ground of division."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

You don't know why, but those verses don't Teach what you made them up to teach.

Why don't you know what The Bible Teaches?

Who do I ask to see if they will give you permission that does your thinking for you?

6. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nice. Thank you, for trying to say something. You 'gave' Baptists 'immersion'. That's nice.

Whether Smyth would be considered Baptist, as in The Authority of God to baptize through the Succession of Scriptural Baptist Baptism, from John the Baptist, by Baptists of The Kinds of churches Jesus Built, or Jesus, I don't know.

If he had Baptist Baptism and held to Baptist Doctrines, unlike Calvin, who had Baptist believers put to death, that he had it 17 Centuries after all other Baptist Believing congregations before him.

7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Shouldn't everyone here, at least, know as much as Quakers, about Baptists?

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

The Holy Spirit is The Vicar of Christ.

Peter was an Apostle.

The Great Commission, the Power to bind and loose in church Discipline, and Scriptural Baptism by The Authority of God, were Given to The churches Jesus Built.

They were Promised Continued Existed by Jesus Christ and were Publically Inugurated, as The Divine Institution of Jesus, on The Day of Pentecost, with The Indwelling of The Shakina Glory.

Satan's Synagogue, where Satan's seat is, has been doomed as The Great Whore, and will be cast into The Eternal Lake of Fire, with any Pope's who were not Mercifully Saved by Jesus, if any, just prior to Satan's doom there.

I will be there to see it.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recognize that the Pope calling himself the Vicar of Christ is just a title. I don't think that the Holy Ghost is the vicar of Christ as the word "vicar" is a medieval clerical title.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh I am sorry, I forgot to put what I posted in quotes. That was not me, but some Baptist organization that I found on the net. My mistake.

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes he was. And the Lord said to him as reported in Matthew 16:19:

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

Yes, it's true, the exact words from the Holy Scriptures. These are not my words, but those of Jesus Christ, God Incarnate on this earth. If you have a problem with them as written, you will need to take it up with Him (Jesus) in the hereafter.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me? I have no prob understanding Elizabethan English, but many others may. It's simply obsolete, same as the Model T Ford.

13. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Roby, I am not an 'RC', whatever that is, however regarding your criteria of 'Scripture Authority, for anything, 'Apostolic', or having to do with an 'Apostle', this is The Bible on it:

To be an Apostle, you must have personally been with Jesus.

That is why Jesus Appeared to Paul and Talked with him.

You?, not me. And 'RC'? Anyone else, who has ever lived?

This is a OK, basic Bible description, answering:

Who were the 70 (or 72) disciples in Luke 10? | GotQuestions.org

And, as you may well know:

"One of the requirements for apostleship was that the candidate had to

“have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection” (Acts 1:21–22).

Paul witnessed Jesus' Having Resurrected.

He saw Jesus, personally.

That is The Bible Requirement, to be an 'Apostle'.

There is NO Teaching of 'Apostolic Succession' in The Bible,

Once, Paul and The 70, & The 12 Apostles were gone, there have been no more Apostles, or anyone, that has had Miraculous Gifts Communicated to them.

Again, there is NO Teaching of 'Apostolic Succession' in The Bible,

...just as there is NO Promise of anyone being Given a Miraculous Gift, other than those named, and/ or pointed out, specifically, i.e., The 70.

14. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

That doesn't matter, this is just a board. Not like you're trying to make money off something.

Everyone references a lot of stuff.

What is important is what Identifying Marks of Doctrine that make up The Criteria Jesus Established, when He Designed, Organized, and Founded His churches.

The Organization you found make be 'Baptist', by Jesus' Criteria, or 'Baptist', by using that name and not believe much, or know much.

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your analogy fails. The KJV is better than many others that were printed later.

16. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Jesus Knows I know what He meant and who and what He was Speaking to and about, when:

..."the Lord said to him as reported in Matthew 16:19:

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

This is a similar Teaching to what Jesus Said about 'Forgiveness of sins":

John 20:19-23

19 It was the first day of the week, and that very evening, while the disciples were together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them. “Peace be with you!” He said to them. 20 After He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said to them, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, so also I am sending you.” 22 When He had said this, He breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld.”

The 'keys to The Kingdom' is The Gospel.

Jesus Gave His Gospel to His Churches, as a Divinely Instituted Organism and Organization.

Jesus Gave His church that He Had Built, "The Great Commission", including The Gospel, by which lost souls could be Saved.

Peter was an Apostle and a Scripturally Baptised member of The church Jesus Established and Commissioned and Gave The keys to The Kingdom to.

Jesus Gave the keys to The Kingdom and The Great Commission to His Kind of church and Promised to be with them until the End of The Age.

That Promise was Given to His church, as a Divine Entity, not any individual person, at all.

All those members of that church Jesus Built eventually died.

Jesus' Bride has never died.

Those are His Kind of churches.

The woman who fled into the wilderness.

Here is, just plain, straightforward, sober, Bible Interpretation,
    of John 20:23, Gill

Whose soever sins ye remit

God only can forgive sins,
    and Christ being God, has a power to do so likewise;

but he never communicated any such power to his apostles;

nor did they ever assume any such power to themselves, or pretend to exercise it;

it is the mark of antichrist, to attempt anything of the kind;
    who, in so doing, usurps the divine prerogative, places himself in his seat, and shows himself as if he was God:

but this is to be understood only in a doctrinal, or ministerial way, by preaching the full and free remission of sins, through the blood of Christ, according to the riches of God's grace, to such as repent of their sins, and believe in Christ; declaring, that all such persons as do so repent and believe, all their sins are forgiven for Christ's sake: and accordingly,

they are remitted unto them;

in agreement with Christ's own words, in his declaration and commission to his disciples; see ( Mark 16:16 ) ( Luke 24:47).

On the other hand he signifies, that

whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained:

that is, that whatsoever sins ye declare are not forgiven, they are not forgiven; which is the case of all final unbelievers, and impenitent sinners; who dying without repentance towards God, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, according to the Gospel declaration, shall be damned, and are damned; for God stands by, and will stand by and confirm the Gospel of his Son, faithfully preached by his ministering servants;

...and all the world will sooner or later be convinced of the validity, truth, and certainty, of the declarations on each of these heads, made by them.

Jesus Gave His churches, as a Corporate Institution, The keys to The Kingdom, which was The Gospel, which The Holy Ghost Could Give Power to 'remit' sins.

The Power to bind and loose is The Doctrine of Church Discipline, Given to The Lord's churches, not The Apostles, or any individual, either.

I don't know if anyone on this board believes the Bible Teaching concerning the word, 'church', and it's Bible usage and meaning.

So, that is where Satan has Bible readers, here.

That would be a place to start to learn something about what God Says in The Bible about Jesus' churches that has apparently been lost.

It's as if the Testimony of most on this board is that The Two Witnesses, of The Lord's churches and The Preservation of The Inspiration of Scripture, are Dead in the street.

What about that?

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanx for your input!

"RC" stands for "Roman Catholic".

18. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Oh, my God. Those to whom The Bible means absolutely nothing, then.

No wonder.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing RC has to do with God or The Bible and nothing God or The Bible have to do with RC, apart from RC's business of the denial, opposition, and Anti-Christ perspective on God and The Bible and the Promises by God to Judge His enemies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.