1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Let's Talk About The Word Draw..

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I as well would say before regeneration. But suspect this conversation should be another thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you will see later in the thread I misread that post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    no

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, soma is body. And no. Psyche is the soul and pnuema is spirit. ". . . ολοκληρον υμων το πνευμα και η ψυχη και το σωμα . . . ." ". . . your whole spirit and soul and body . . . ." 1 Thessalonians 5:23.
    And in the Hebrew animals are referred to as being a soul, the Hebrew being translated as "creature," and "life." Genesis 1:24 and Leviticus 17:11. The key difference between the soul of an animal and man is man is made in God's image, Genesis 9:6.

5. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    nope, psyche is where we get physchology, not soul but mind or mental,
    pneuma is we get pneumatic or unseen force

The terms in Hebrew are often combined as souls but included all three. David rescued kidnapped souls , etc.
    like egg, shell, yolk and white, we buy all three but only use one or two in a recipe

Horses often have spirit in the way they move but not soul to interact with the spiritual

6. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You both are using ψυχή in a different way. In the LXX ψυχή refers to "life on earth in its animating aspect making bodily function possible—a. (breath of) life, life-principle,"

We tend to use it differently today. Which is some what understandable, it seems Paul and John used it differently at time. Paul never used it to refer to life after death, but John does in Rev. 6:9

Paul generally use it in the sense of,
    True Life, The Place of Feeling, The Whole Person and Natural and Physical Life.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OT used it differently than the NT, but Greek uses 3 parts to the whole person
    The eternal part of soul and spirit is what retains after death of the body.

The soma is how we respond to physical, psyche to the things of the mind, like math, pneuma spiritual things , like sunset, pictures of yo mama and God

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So New Testament translation of soul is in error according to secular physchology. Prove it.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek for soul in the KJV is translated "life" 34 times. As "mind" 3 times. As "heart" 2 times. As "us" 1 time. As "you" one time. The other 50+ times as "soul."

10. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say error, just different.

Gen 12:5

And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

entire person

Mat 10:28

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This is pnuenma, and pysche using Strongs s a reference
    Luk 1:46

And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

This has all three and uses pnuenma
    1Th 5:23

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

11. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even John Calvin says he is talking about 44. Everyone's comments do.

John 6

65And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

The entire point of verse 65 was clarification else why say it at all?

The rabbit you need to pull out of your hat is equated whatever greek used for "HAVE BEEN GRANTED" δεδομένον To mean DRAG.

12. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say he wasn't using the context of verse 44? No I didn't. You need to re-read my post. It is a change of will despite the person.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Due to length, this thread will be closed sometime after 8 am Monday morning EST. Please feel free to continue the discussion on a new thread.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 1:40 AM Pacific.

15. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe it refers to the inward conscience activity or the "soul" of man as well as its outward expression or the manifest "life" as the product of this inward conscience activity. Solomon said as a man thinketh in his heart "so is he" in his manifest life. Hence, this term describes the internal conscious aspects of human nature (heart, mind, will) as well as the bodily expressions or manifestations (strength of body expressed in words and actions).

It is distinct from the "spirit" of man (heb. 4:12; 1 thes. 5:23) as the "spirit" of man comes directly from God (whereas animals are not made in God's image and do not have God as their direct source for existence but come from the earth or from the waters - Gen. 1). It is the "spirit" of man that provides him ability to commune with the spiritual world and depending upon his spiritual affinity in the spirit world determines his moral nature (Eph.2:2-3 versus Eph. 4:20-24) as true worship is not possible apart from the "spirit" of man as God requires true worship to be in "spirit" as well as truth. The moral inclination of the human soul is determined by the spiritual source of communion. The new birth is of the human spirit (Jn. 3:6) thus transforming its moral condition (Eph. 4:24) which in turn determines the moral inclination of the soul (Rom.7:18). Even a regenerated man has no inherent power by new birth to overcome the law of sin although his soul has been changed from the love of sin to an inclination for good (Rom. 7:18). The power to overcome the indwelling law of sin is through submission to the indwelling Spirit of God, and thus we must be "filled" (under his influence) in order to empower our inclination for good (Rom. 7:21-25; 8:9-27).

So, God inbreathed into man more than biological life as the animal kingdom had that without any direct inbreathing by God. God inspirited into man the spirit of LIVES (Heb. plural) so man consisted of biological life, pyschological life as well as spiritual life. In the first Adam the center of control was the soul - and thus man became a "living soul" but in the Second Adam the center of control has been switched from the "soul" to the "spirit" as he became a "living spirit".

In our present Christian life it is our every day goal to switch "soul" control and "soul" centered control to "spirit" control or be "filled" with the Spirit so that the control center for every day living is derived from your spirit instead of from your soul. The goal is to submit our soul (conscious self) to the Spirit of God that is in communion with our spirit and His power is released when our soul becomes subjected to Him in our spirit. Our person is like the tabernacle/temple divided into three distinct but inseparable aspects. The outer court symbolizes our body and gives us outer world communion. Everybody could see the outer court just as everyone could see our body. The holy place represents the place where the greater part of unseen activity takes place - our soul which gives us ability to commune with ourselves, the inner world. The holy of holiest represents our spirit where God abides within us and gives us the ability to commune with the spirit world.

Our spirit has been "saved" - regeneration

Our soul is "being saved" as we redeem the time by submitting our daily life to God -sanctification

Our body "shall be saved" in the resurrection by final glorification

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 6

44“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Let me put on my Calvinist glasses on:

44“Everyone has to come to me IF the Father who sent Me drags him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.