1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lexicon question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by donnA, May 14, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm looking for an affordable lexicon to go with my concordance, I found this on ebay and wondered what you think of this one?

http://tinyurl.com/48zbcj

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

This lexicon is as exactly as described- analytical. If I remember correctly it does not give definitions, but parsings of verbs. I have not looked at one in a while.

I would recommend Buar and Gingrich or Thayers or Louw-Nida.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh thanks, I didn't realize.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are on a computer consider http://www.e-sword.net for free. They have Thayer and maybe others. :thumbs:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have esword, but didn't realize the had a lexicon, is the lexicon free, or one of the pay programs?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I got it, thanks.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To make best use of any lexicon you really should begin to learn the Greek alphabet

...and perhaps purchase an interlinear Bible (a Bible that has a Greek text and a simple English translation under each word).

After that you'll be really dangerous on the BBoard. :laugh:

Rob

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Online Bible is much better than esword. You can get it free at www.onlinebibleusa.net

Many more tools and more powerful. Thayer's is built in, and you have the page references for anything you want to look up in Kittel's.

How much experience do you have with Greek? Do you need something that would be coded with Strong's numbers or G/K numbers?

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, really dangerous, are you sure you all want that, LOL.
    I may think about it. I know recently I've wanted to learn to go deeper on bible study.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh wow, thanks Tom, I'm going tot ake a look at that program. No greek expereince other then Strong's and maybe checking out a lexicon online occasionally. So I guess it counts as no expereince. But I'm always up for learning more that will help me with bible study.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

'Bidding' has now ended, but you can still get even a new one for under 25 bucks. The BAGD could run a C-note and a half.

If you can scrape up the 25, you might wanna' give an analytical some decent consideration, IMO.

[Edited to add.]If you do not know any Greek, why would you wanna' put 150 into a BAGD?

Ed

#13 EdSutton, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  14. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thayer's will give you the quickest access and is coded to Strong's. (Do get a Young's Analytical Concordance).

The absolute best place to start if you want to learn Greek is "Greek For the Rest Of Us" by William Mounce. There's a CD with the book and a Hebrew version will be released this summer. Very good at the basics, enough to get you into the commentaries and language tools.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You wouldn't. You need some Greek skills to use BAGD, and some to use Louw-Nida. Thayer's can be used w/o any (even though Thayer's is outdated a bit), and some based on G/K could as well. (the NIV Dictionary of NT Words by Verbrugge is an abridgement of Colin Brown's great four volume work and may be the best conservative one vol available).

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do know a little Greek; he owns a restaurant up on Limestone St.. :p

Still, as a farmer, I'm not laying out 150 clams for BAGD.

I can, and do use a Thayer's, even though, as you said, it is a bit dated, as incidentally are also Young's and Strong's, with both being a century+ old, in their limited applications.

Ed

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Young's doesn't get hurt by its publication date. It really doesn't delve into things. It's biggest drawback is its usage of the KJV. Strong's is not strong, and Young's isn't young, as the saying goes! Strong's is weaker because it tries to be a defining source, yet is circular. It's not unhelpful, though.

If you can use BAGD, I think it's worth it.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I picked up my first Greek text (Zondervans, Englishman's Greek NT) and Thayer's Lexicon in the early 1970's.

I also picked up a simple NT Greek Primer and struggled through it.

Don't spend too much money, they should relatively inexpensive.

If you are committed to study in book form, I'd also suggest Kohlenberger's, Greek-English Concordance to the New Testament
    It's pricey (around $30) but it provides a simple way to search for the Greek words throughout the New Testament.

Be prepared to spend some long hours studying.

IMHO, BAGD (and others) come quite a bit later after you've picked up some of the basics of original language study.

>>>Personally I've not leafed through a lexicon since purchasing one on my computer.

With a good computer Bible program the burden of original language word searches is all but eliminated.

I have my preferences but that's for another thread.

Rob

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I did download a free program somone on this thred suggested and a lexicon was one of the free choices, so I ahve that now. One day would like a book, something I dont need to know greek to use.