1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Liberty - not worth supporting

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by agedman, Sep 9, 2019.

1. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But they don’t need to. Faculty are not the same as students.

This is just a leftist hit piece filled with lies supported by leftists who like lies.

Falwell Jr. to Push Back on ‘Smear Campaign’ Against Christian School

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without support from Scripture.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SATS PROF

SATS PROF Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am 80 years old. I was raised by an alcoholic grandfather. In my younger days, backslidden, I relished "boiler makers." My personal view now is that as consuming alcohal may offend some believers, I have avoided it for many years.

Possibly that motive should guide presidents of Christian schools as well.

Of course Jesus drank fermented wine*** ; then it was customary. Getting drunk with wine is another matter. (Eph 5:18)

Is drinking alcohal sinful? For me, yes. For you? Ask God and obey.

As for Liberty, in my view the quality of education is what counts, not whether its president drinks or went to a night club.

Bill

teaching credentials USD (English) and OSU (Handicapped Learner Education)
    M.A. in Religion, Point Loma Nazarene
    M. Div (equivalency) and Th.M. in Bible, Western Seminary
    Th.D. in Systematic Theology, Unizul. dissertation on Christology
    D. Min. in Theology and Apologetics in Progress, Corban Univ., thesis-project on Christology.

***we argue about whether our LORD drank fermented wine when our congregations remain ignorant on the deeper things of Christ's Person as whether He acts distinctly through each nature (contra Erickson) has two wills (contra Strong) , whether the divine nature shares qualities with the human (contra Hodge), whether Christ is eternally begotten by the Father receiving deity in that process (contra Reymond) ,whether He retained all divine powers when incarnating ( contra Evans), and whether He is eternally role subordinate to the Father (contra Crisp).

#123 SATS PROF, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This does go to the point of if it causes someone to stumble you should refrain. So yes, you need to be sensitive about who you do consume alcohol in front of. I agree.

5. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not going to give up a gift from God to avoid offending self-righteous busybodies. Jesus, nor anyone else in the Bible, gave up drinking to avoid offending the Pharisees.

The drinking at the rave nightclub is the essence of corruption. When he doesn't allow adult students to drink, he shouldn't drink. And, that type of club is no place for a Christian drinker.

The visit to the club is only one part of a larger picture of corruption.

Liberty is very well marketed, but that doesn't mean it gives a good education. It's hard for me to think a corrupt leader like Falwell doesn't hurt the quality of education, or at least the perceived quality of education. And, from the university's perspective, Falwell is going to start hurting enrollment as his poor reputation spreads.

Even if Liberty gives a good education, Christians have an obligation to reconsider supporting institutions that have rot at the head. Falwell should issue a major mea culpa, do some rule and behavioral changes, if not resign.