1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Life Span

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I would think that AIDS would greatly impact any survey of life expectancy of homosexuals. Right off the top of my head I can think of four gay men I knew that died from aids and they were all relatively young at the time, so it stands to reason it would greatly lower the average age of death.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Assuming (big assumption) that the figures you listed are correct.

1. Using the average (assuming this is the mean) is probably the worst statistical variance to use if one is looking for the facts. The median or mode would be much more accurate.

2. I assume that you mean men, not women. Not to many non-straight women dying of AIDS. I would assume their life span pretty much matches the general population.

3. There has been a tremendous amount of press (where have you been??) regarding AIDS, homosexual men, and their high death rate -- especially early on with AIDS. The public health mantra was not a Scriptural view of sex, but instead on safety.

4. My guess is that there is a greater concern about smoking is because more people die of cancer than AIDS.

5. Of course, the church very much chooses its sins to preach against. Gluttony - not so much. Drinking - Of course. Envy - Not much. Homosexual men - absoulutely. After all to many in the church, they deserve to get AIDS and die anyway, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.