1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Light years

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Mar 8, 2013.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Agreed. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you cite scripture?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pedantic mode: God's creation was called "very good", not "perfect."

4. humblethinker

Death

Perhaps death existed prior to man's sin due to sin actually existing prior to man's sin? Are we to expect that Satan's sin had no affects on the universe?

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Romans 6:23 "...the wages of sin is death..." - God hates sin, and the wages (fruit in Romans 7:5) of sin is death, thus it follows that God hates death.

1 Cor 15:26 "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.." - Death is an enemy of God and man

2 Tim 1:10 "...our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death..."
    - Christ has abolished death. Why would God abolish something that was good?

True. But God is perfect in every way. It's reasonable to say that He, as the supreme perfect being, would not call anything less than perfect "good." After all that's why we need a savior, we are not perfect, we are not good.

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Possible. But then how could the sin of angelic beings who are not the normal inhabitants of this world (universe, plane of existence, w/e you want to call it) actually affect us? Directly I mean. Obviously it affected us since Satan was able to tempt Adam and thus created this mess we live in now.

And again Romans 5 specifically says it was by man's sin that death spread

7. humblethinker

As you showed above, Satan can affect things in this universe. He is in this universe, as in, he is not 'outside' this universe, you agree?

No one's disagreeing with your statement that man's sin spread death.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I guess what I'm trying to say is how could the sin of Satan directly affect us since there is such a substantial difference between humans (natural) and angels (Supernatural)?

I think that when it comes to angels (demonic included) there is a lot of unknown. While yes Satan is present here in that he tempts and Peter said our adversary is "walking about" he also has direct access to God's throne for now so in someways he is here, but he is also in another plane/dimension. I'm not sure of what word would appropriately describe it. Am I making any sense?

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Salty, actually, it takes approximately 8 Minutes for photons to travel from our sun to earth.

10. quantumfaith

11. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Must be something wrong with my computer - I meant minutes.....:BangHead:

13. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is my job to "do the math".

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent answer, let God be God.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Salty,
    I understand the problem, if the universe is 6000 years old, how can a star one million light years away emit light. Very good mystery. Maybe some kind of bending of the space time continuum??? I do not know, but it is interesting to ponder. Of course, the old earth theory would solve that problem. Interesting thread. I have no answers but faith.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sometimes i have watched the science based shows speaking of string theory and , this ,that and the other.
    I enjoy the programs and how much of God's creation he allows them to discover. Usually there is some ungodly speculations ,that I keep in check with this verse offered in Hebrews.
    If God has determined to keep hidden these elements, no scientist will ever know what the exact fabric of the universe is......God is indeed God.

I have ideas about it , that i cannot scripturally support.

When the Apostles were in a closed room ,and them Jesus appears in their midst bodily, or angelic beings appear in the form of a man...I am not sure how science gives an account of the Supernatural element of OUR GREAT GOD.

When they [scientists] speculate on these things and look at string theory for answers....it just seems obvious to me that the questions God asked JOB demonstrate to man that His ways are much higher than our ways:
    Job 38

King James Version (KJV)

38 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?

9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,

10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,

11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;

13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.

15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.

16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?

18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.

Salty.....The OP seems to assume an ....evolutionary idea....the big bang theory...rather than creation will all the parts in place.
    In other words....why start out with the biblical account of creation, then go to secular science and adopt unbiblical assumptions?

#36 Iconoclast, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had actually read the link you would not have said any of this.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Also, I am sure you have seen the explanations for the Star of Bethlehem. One is a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. Another is a comet. My guess is that God placed a supernatural star for its intended purpose. We always try to analyze some of God's miracles, usually ones that we think we have an answer for. However, I have yet to see an explanation for the Ressurection, the Creation, or life itself.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There can be no scientific explanation for How God had the sun stand still:wavey:

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

So you are now an expert on cosmological physics and Einstein's work on relativity?