1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lighthearted--Scientists as addictive personalities

Discussion in 'Science' started by Petrel, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I was looking up something for the thread on addiction and stumbled across [this article], which originally appeared in Science in 1990.

There is some truth to it! :D

Even though it is not really scientific I thought I would post it here so that those in the field can read it.

2. fossilman

fossilman New Member

Compulsive behavior is a very subjective topic. I wouild venture a guess that there are far more compulsive Christians than there are compulsive scientists (since there are, at least in the good ol' US, far more Christians than scientists -- not that the two groups are mutually exclusive). Compulsive Christians spend far too much time away from their families, give far too much of their money to their church, and are "immune to logical arguments to correct the error of their ways."

I used to be one. Now that I've left compulsive Chritianity behind, I am a happier person, a better Christian, and a better scientist.

Edited to add: I'd prefer long hours in hostile instrument labs over many pastor's "preaching" any day. ;)

3. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Hi fossilman. I like your name. I've heard of compassionate conservatism but compulsive 'Christianity' is a new one on me. If I seem to be posting like a compulsive creationist on these forums sometimes, its only because I'm creatively critiquing compulsive neo-Darwinists.

4. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Not really scientific?

Dr. Noitall sounds like a good psychiatrist to me.

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

:D I think Dr. Noitall must be related to most of the regular posters on the Baptist Board. ;)

6. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Do you think he shares a common ancestry with any of us?

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Of course, since we're all Homo sapiens!

Excluding those of us descended from the Neanderthals, of course. ;)

8. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Dr. Noitall just sounds like a "know-it-all" to me!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

What about those of us who are descended from the late Homo erectus and early/archaic Homo sapiens populations which historically occupied the Eurasian land mass before becoming modern Homo sapiens?

Should we and our human ancestors also be excluded from full and equal human status along with Neanderthal people and their descendents?

10. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

He sounds like an expert on Homo sapiens to me. [​IMG]

11. fossilman

fossilman New Member

I tried to find the original source and found a "transcript" of the original interview. Found it at:

http://www.he.net/~seidel/addictive.html

The original citation was the 30 November, 1990 issuce of Science v. 250, no. 4985, no page given.

Looked it up and, sure enough, it was there. Dr. Noitall turns out to be Dr. Daniel E. Koshland's alter-ego who turns up from time to time as scientist extraordinair to give expert testimony on the day's pertinant issues. Koshland was, I believe, the editor of Science for a number of years.

12. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Excellent research, fossilman. What do you think of Professor Lubenow's research on the human fossil record?