1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lincoln / Kennedy

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The little annoying, minor, trivial details that Marilyn Monroe died on Aug. 5, 1962 (and President John F. Kennedy was assssinated on Nov. 22, 1963) and that there is no town in Maryland named "Monroe", probably shouldn't be of concern for this poor attempt at humor, lifted to the BB, should it??

Moderators, How about "deep-sixing" this thread into oblivion, permanently, by deleting it?

I'll not even complain about losing a post, for this one. :thumbs:

Ed

#2 EdSutton, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Salty and Ed-----this link is being iinvestigated by the moderators---IMHO--the editor of the attached link has nothing better to do with his time other than to fit together time pieces that happen to be coincindental---IOW--he needs to get a "real job":laugh: :laugh: :type:

Thanks

Blackbird

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

To both blackbird and SALTCITYBAPTIST:

Please do not think that I think SALTCITYBAPTIST did anything wrong, here, by any stretch. (My wording above, unfortunately, may not have made that all that clear. 'Sides, I gotta' to support a fellow 'hack', as well.) :thumbsup:

The link does appear both both plausible and funny, at a short glance. But it is nothing more than an inaccurate attempt to get in a 'cheap laugh', and I honestly think I know about as much about getting in 'cheap laughs' as nearly anyone on the BB. (I can get in about 10 of the 'cheapies' for the price of one good one!) ;)

It has been around for a long time, and I first heard this joke probably more than 20 years ago.

I just do not think this one is fitting for the BB, considering the historical inaccuracy in it, and the implication, and especially considering the 'sticky' about "hum*n s*xu@l @ct*vity" that appears atop about half the BB fora. For that is what this is, IMO. That said, that is why I suggested it being removed, and having said that, will now leave it up to the Moderators to do as you/they collectively see fit. :thumbs:

Ed

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised they didn't mention the "zero factor".

No subject on presidential assassination is complete without it.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is the zero factor?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since 1840, every president that has been elected in a year that ends in zero has died in office or had an attempt made on his life.
    http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/files/t-z/zerofact.shtml

W Bush is well on the way to breaking the pattern that has stood for so many years.

#7 carpro, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Another half-truth, at best.

'Course, paper and computers 'stay still' while anyone composes anything regardless of factuality. :rolleyes:

For a quick summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntial_assassination_attempts#George_H.W._Bush

In fact, attempts have been made on the lives of multiple Presidents, and Zachary Taylor died in office, who was not elected in a "zero year", as well.

Attempts have been made a some level on the lives of these Presidents, as well:

1.) Andrew Jackson (1835) - The would-be assassin's pistols both misfired at point blank range, and Ol' Hickory proceeded to beat the assassin wannabe to a pulp with his cane.

2.) Theodore Roosevelt (1912) - T. Roosevelt was running for office as the "Bull Mooses"/Progressive Party candidate, when he was shot, while preparing to give a speech. The bullet went through his doubly folded 100 pages speech he was prepariong to deliever and metal glasses case before lodging in his body. Despite being shot, he insisted on delivering the speech before he went to the hospital, a politician through and through.

3.) Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933)

4.) Harry S. Truman (1950)

5.) John F. Kennedy (Dec. 11, 1960) Prior to his being assassinated, then President-elect Kennedy has a attempt made on his life, prior to his actual assassination.

6.) Richard M. Nixon (two attempts 1972; 1974; the first time by Arthur Bremer, the individual who one month later achieved his desired notoriety when he shot and paralyzed Gov. George C. Wallace (D- AL); the second by an intention to hijack a commercial airliner and crash it into the White house. Sound strangely familiar in the light of 9/11??

7.) Gerald R. Ford who managed to have two attempts made on his life in his 2 years 5 1/2 mos. as President, in 18 days, and the only ones by women - by "Squeaky" Fromme (Sept. 5, 1975) and Sara Jane Moore (Sept. 22, 1975).

[This, of course, does not count the number of unknown attempts by "First Ladies" to kill the President/husbands upon finding out about marital infidelity. [​IMG]

It is known that Florence Harding once went after President Harding with a butcher knife, only to have the intended weapon removed by a nearby Secret Service agent, and she was locked into a closet so that she would "cool down" from the rage she was in (and not do him intended bodily harm! One does wonder for what exact end the knife was intended? :confused: ), after one of his affairs became known to her.]

8.) Jimmy Carter (1979)

9.) Ronald W. Reagan (1981)

10.) George H. W. Bush (Apr. 13, 1993) after he was out of office, FTR.

11.) William. J. Clinton (1994)

12.) George W. Bush (Two times, in 2001, and 2005) One has suggested the best reason not to 'do in' current President Bush is that the current VP, Richard B. Cheney would then become President! (Would you go hunting with Dick Cheney??) :thumbs:

Folks, when one counts in those who were assassinated, as well as assassination attempts, whether or not they succeeded, have been made at some level on over one third (15 of 43) Presidents of the United States.

And four others have died in office, namely Presidents William H. Harrison, Taylor, Harding, and FDR. At least three more suffered some very debilitating illnesses in office, namely Presidents Grover Cleveland (cancer), Woodrow Wilson (stroke) and Dwight D. Eisenhower (heart attack).

That is over half of our Presidents, as we are up to 22 of 43.

And only two of eleven Presidents in my lifetime (Eisenhower and Lyndon. B. Johnson), did not have known attempts, at some level, made on their lives!

It ain't exactly a healthy job, folks!

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said they hadn't?

10. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member