1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Literal Interpretation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

he does have a good valid point though, as "rightly dividing" the Bible allows us to see Dispy theology in it!

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Taught

I am so glad God could teach us not like a people who could not understand what He was saying. That He could teach us as Intellectuals. If people do something stupid as cut their hand off or pluck their eye out, then they have something wrong mentally and need a straight jacket and a rubber room.

#42 psalms109:31, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dispy theology is defective at it's very foundation; you've yet to address the scriptures I presented to you showing that.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all of this.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree 100%.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Nowadays" item is not true in the circles I run in.

Why must you rail against dispensationalism every single time you get on the Internet? (hyperbole :rolleyes:)

Frankly, this whole post about dispensationalism is irrelevant to my position. My grandfather was not a dispensationalist, but wrote 8 commentaries (including Rev. & Dan.) from a grammatical-historical hermeneutic. I find the idea that this hermeneutic always leads to dispensationalism, and only dispensationalists use it, to be way too narrow in focus. You can't see the forest for the trees! (idiom :D)

Besides that, the scholars don't agree with you. According to the non-dispensational seminary text on hermeneutics mentioned above (Klein, Blomberg, Hubbard), "Dispensationalism has taken great strides away from the excesses of past generations toward a more 'centrist' position" (footnote, p. 348).
    Please source this. The subject is hermeneutics. Is he a scholar in this? Never heard of him.
    The fact that you apparently don't recognize my sources (sensationalist? hah!) leads me to believe that you are not very educated in the area of hermeneutics. Bernard Ramm is the classic in the field, yet he was not dispensationalist to my knowledge. In fact, his textbook doesn't even mention the term, and only mentions premil on one page.

Klein, Blomberg and Hubbard is also not a textbook on dispensational theology, but a straight up seminary text on hermeneutics. I really don't think these guys are dispensationalist.

And I don't know all of the men you mention, but I don't recognize any of them as having written books on hermeneutics. And that's what this thread is about, isn't it?

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

as i type this with one hand i was wondering if you could point me to something in the text that would have prevented me from taking it so literaly

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's quite easy to discern hyperbole. The definition is standardized. Here is what my college English textbook says (still have it): "Hyperbole is deliberate over-statement or fanciful exaggeration" (Harbrace College Handbook, 6th ed., by John Hodges & Mary Whitten, 1967, p. 232).

Take the case of the cut-off hand and cut out eye in Matt. 5 and 18. How could that be anything other than hyperbole? Surely no one would take the words of Christ as being a literal way of salvation? So what did Christ want? People to believe on Him, not cut off their hand! Hyperbole, with no doubt whatsoever.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

well i didnt see that definition in the text

how about this is it hyperbole - the moon shall turn to blood.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I think the point Jesus was making is that you have to value him more than all other things. Our hands and eyes are very precious to us. You might have a sin you love like drugs or alcohol, some folks do not want to get saved because they know the Lord is going to ask us to give that up. You must be ready to give up all these things for Jesus.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hyperbole, naturally.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

do you believe that a four-square borg-like new jerusalem will come floating down from outer space and hover near the earth in the end of time

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Resistance if FUTILE!!!! :)

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Common sense, maybe?? I am sorry for your loss. :saint:

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. What's your point?

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

i'm just trying to find out what is a deliberate over-statement or fanciful exaggeration and what is not according to my superiors, literalists. perhaps there is a method of interpretation other than common sense which some of us don't have that that could be consistenty applied that would have prevented me from severing my hand which is the reason i am now typing in all small letters and no question marks or certain other special characters.
    :confused:

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

i've heard about that i was wondering why i shouldn't think that new jerusalem coming down out of heaven adorned as a bride is symbolic language in an apocalypted text, it's not common sense to me to take it as an actual city - how does a city put on a wedding gown..

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, at least you didn't get blood all over your computer keyboard, so you can still type. :thumbsup:

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, the bride symbolism is called a simile.... (Come on, I know it's hard, but you can remember your high school English.:applause:) But John said he actually saw the city, and described it in detail--without a wedding dress.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

yeh, i was wondering why he used that simile, the church is called the bride of Christ, i thought there might be a connection there comparing scripture with scripture but i guess there are two brides, the church and new jerusalem. oh well now i know if it says the moon shall turn to blood it's hyperbole even though many of your friends say it's literal but anyway if it says that a city floats down from outer space it's literal, thanks for the help? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.