1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Local Board Votes Against Wal-Mart Liquor Permit

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Linda64, May 8, 2008.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Local Board Votes Against Wal-Mart Liquor Permit

BY VANESSA RENDERMAN
    [email protected]
    219.933.3241 | Thursday, May 08, 2008 | 1 comment(s)

CROWN POINT | Wal-Mart will not have the support of the local liquor board when it asks the state alcohol and tobacco commission for a liquor license for its Schererville store.

The local board on Wednesday voted 2-1 to give the request an unfavorable recommendation.

Indiana Excise Police Officer Walt Collins, who sits on the board, was the lone supporter of the retail giant's request. He emphasized that the board's decision was just a recommendation and that the state has the final say.

Wal-Mart is seeking a permit that allows drug stores to sell packaged beer, wine and liquor.

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/05/08/news/lake_county/docc0a5373eae99089c862574430005b635.txt

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Something puzzles me about this. The article states clearly that Walmart is seeking a permit that would allow drug stores to sell packaged liquor.

Walmart is a discount store that contains a pharmacy (least wise that's how my local one is run). What impact does running a pharmacy have on a liquor license? :confused:

The rest of the article is all about local opinion on whether or not Walmart should carry liquor (like it can't be easily obtained at the gas station down the street), though that doesn't seem to explain why Walmart is having to apply for the permit in the first place.

Someone from Indiana please tell me why/how it is that Walmart doesn't already carry liquor in a place where liquor sales are legal?

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

In Illinois, there are only so many liquor licenses to be had. That is set by the city council of each city.

Anyone desiring a liquor license has to apply for one and then pay yearly to keep it.

Our Super Wal-Mart sells liquor, the regular Wal-Mart (which I much preferred) did not.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Politics is usually at play. Here in Colorado, they were going to allow grocery stores to sell alcohol on Sunday, but the Liquor Store owners said it would put them out of business. Also, convenience stores can only sell 3.2 beer, while Liquor Stores can sell the real deal. There was some issue with that as well. It gets down to which business can lobby the best.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't understand the drug store/liquor combo with wal mart either.
    Our local wal mart does not sell liquor, they are in a dry county. Well, now it's a moist county(restaurants that seat more then 100 at a time can sell by the drink). But I hate when I do shop at a store with alcohol, I usually avoid that isle.
    Something that has always bothered me, when we are away from home and stop at a convenience store they have individual beers in ice tubs next to the check out. Now what do they believe the purpose of that it? If you stopped and bought yourself a soda, your probably going to drink it in the car. Aren't people who buy that beer drinking and driving?
    The next town over is also moist. So people can go in, buy a meal and order drinks, then how do they get home? They drive of course! This only encourage drunk driving.
    Well, thats all I got to say I guess about selling alcohol.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

They settled that conflict in our town by letting the bars open at 11:00 on Sunday and not letting the convenient stores sell liquor until 1:00. :BangHead:

Our convenient stores sell liquor, as well as beer and wine.

I can remember when ALL stores (even grocery stores) were CLOSED all day on Sunday!

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL! I can too!

The way it works in Alabama (now) is that a county has to vote for wet or dry, BUT if a dry county has a city with a population of over 15,000 that city can call for a county wide vote that will allow those within the city limits to sell liquor.

This means that my city is wet, while the rest of the county is dry. So my Walmart sells beer and wine(opposite the bottled water :rolleyes: ) while the one that is a few miles down the road does not. This is how a city with no real industry is able to support one of the top ten school systems in the state.

"Hard liquor" here is sold only by the state.

As bad as our system is, what I'm reading of yours seems to be even worse. :eek: Isn't it amazing what folk will to buy/sell liquor?

At least, liquor sales here are banned across the state on Sunday.