1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lockerbie bomber likely to be freed

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Matt Black, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

And those instructions are given to individual disciples, not to the government. Not only so, but you don't one time see Jesus skirting the law of the land or suggesting that any of His disciples do it. In fact, He pays taxes in order to show that you render to Caesar what is Caesar's.

God doesn't have an "aww shucks" policy concerning wrong doing.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's a straight question. I'm asking what problem there is with Jesus' teaching.

No, where did I say that? In fact it's the judicial system in Scotland which has led to his early release.
    'Forgive' in what way?

Hmmm... I smell an inconsistency here (and this is to RAdam as well): presumably therefore you don't have a problem with Federal funding of abortion, then? After all, that's the government doing this, not an individual....

Try Matt 25. It's in the Bible....silly me for reading it and believing it...

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try reading Matthew 25 in some context of the conversation.

No smell of contradiction here. Government funding of abortion is funding a murder of an innocent child. Government putting people into jail is the conviction of a wrong doer.

There is no problem with Jesus' teaching with me. You quote a verse and apply it to the gov't when it applies to individuals. Israel had the death penalty. God instituted the death penalty and never said a word about forgiving the person who committed the murder. As I read the Old Testament, there doesn't seem to be a sacrifice that can be paid for the sin of murder. You are just choosing to ignore the Scripture just like you think it is a tough call between economic policy and right and wrong.

I read on here all the time that we don't really believe in Jesus because we are not compassionate towards those someone else feels we ought to be. We really don't love Jesus if we don't support the President's health care boondoggle. We really don't love Jesus if we don't support your view of forgiveness.

And where in the world did feeding the hungry come from in the context of a discussion about the animal who was cheered when he went hmoe to Libya after killing all those people?

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Matthew 25 is a description of two kinds of people - the wicked and the just. The just, those whom God has made just, are His sheep placed on the right hand and told they've done all these good works. Alright, this is a description, and you'll notice they weren't even aware they had done these things. Why? Well, they weren't doing them for gain, they were doing good works because God had worked on their hearts. He had taken out the stoney heart and replaced it with a heart of flesh, and now they delight in the law of God and in denying self and doing things for others. The wicked, gathered to the left hand, are told they haven't done these things. This is a description of the wicked, who are consistently consumed with self and are generally unconcerned about the general welfare of those around them except when it profits them. You'll notice that these people aren't even repentant of their actions.

The people didn't perform these actions to get into that group, they did these things because they were already in that group. The righteous do good works because God has changed their heart. The wicked do not because they are still in their natural state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.