1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Logos 9

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Reformed1689, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone pick up a copy of Logos 9 today?

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I can't bring myself to part with $3,000.00.

3. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thing it doesn't cost that much!

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    $2996 was the price quote I received for the version that has what I would want in it.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, I have no.idea who the authors of most of the boos are. Many of the ones I have read are less than conservative. Its over priced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well anywho, I got it, love it, and definitely didn't pay 3k for the Diamond package lol.

7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Logos 9 Diamond

Where you get it?
    How much?

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, that wasn't clear. I didn't get the Diamond Package. I got Baptist Gold.

9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a non-alcoholic beer brand. :Roflmao

But I hope you enjoy it. What all comes with the Baptist Gold?

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over 750 books. Logos 9 Baptist Gold

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, looks like I only own 7 out of the 741 resources.
    :eek:

But seriously, it looks like a nice, well rounded set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The size of the program has eclipsed my computer’s ability.

I’ll need to upgrade my computer before upgrading Logos.

Rob

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah the software has become a beast due to the sheer amount of information it contains.

14. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is becoming a growing problem for me that I cannot afford machines that can use Logos, even the web app version. Sometimes I can only read single e-books using the faithlife ebook reader on certain devices.

I own the very cheapest $100 upgrade to Logos 8 and am struggling to run that level of the software. I don't think the Lord is giving me access to the resources necessary to upgrade at this time. I am resting in the idea that I do have access to what I need, so I am exploring more access to used hardcopy books and other software for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Kathleen,

I understand. Until this year I did not have a computer that could run Logos with any sort of speed. However, I got a new laptop this summer with 8GB ram (which is pretty standard) and a solid-state hard drive. The SSD is the single biggest factor (in my opinion) for Logos performance. You can get this laptop for about $500.

16. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, right now I have a 4GB ram HP steam running Linux, and a defective HP Envy running Windows that states that it is running 12 GB ram, BUT it overheats when it is just idling, never mind when using a piece of software. I also have a Kindle Fire and few other things things not useful for Logos.

Sometimes I can get the HP Envy to run okay on Linux, but that doesn't do me much good for Logos. I mostly leave the machine off and only fire it up for short periods of time for anything that I cannot do on the HP Stream and Linux. I try to salvage the machine itself in hopes that someday I will be able to use it. I have toyed with the idea of removing the Nvidia video card. If I trusted someone to know what they were doing, I would let them take out the card and keep it in exchange for removing it.

I was given the machine because of its large screen, and I am losing my eyesight and was enrolled in a class that required having access to a laptop. The person with the authority to choose the best device didn't know what she was doing when she chose a device with this expensive and unnecessary video card. I needed power for the assistive software but not a powerful video card. The machine was useless from day one, and the insurance was bought in someone else's name and no one was able to transfer it to me.

I have been pricing used desktops. I had an Optiplex 790 before I moved that could do a lot despite its age. But, I decided that I cannot afford to do even that yet. I am at peace with trying to best use what I already have.

I say it alot: resistance makes us strong. I am learning some more about Linux while trying to get the Bible Analyzer software to work in Linux on the anemic HP Stream. What I really need always rains down like manna after I have finished a time of learning. I just continue to move ahead in trust and adapt as necessary to both poverty and riches, as Paul says we should.

I think most people that cannot afford a new machine also cannot afford to upgrade their Logos. It all works out, I guess.

17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you mean to link to a computer? I am interested in which computers will run Logos 9 despite all the I just wrote. My circumstances have been knows to change rapidly. LOL.