1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 7, 2007.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I guess this is the right place, though maybe the books forum would be better.

I have very limited access to a variety of Bibles so I am probably going to have to buy online sight unseen. Here is what I am looking for.

New King James
    A nice, soft leather with that ability for the cover to be folded back while preaching (preacher will know what I mean by this :) )
    Slimline with decent sized print
    I don't need any study aids, maps, etc in this Bible
    Durable and long lasting
    Something in the $100 price range

I see several online, but can't tell how they "feel" if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that ya mention it, Roger, I don't recall seeing any NKJV editions that fit your criteria. I have an older one that has the triquetra on the cover the cover is curled outward after mucho use & it never has become 'floppy' enuff so I can open it to a given page, place it upon a table & it just sits there without trying to 'flip the pages'.

Guess I could take the trusty ole 30.06 & cap a nauga so's I could make a Naugahyde cover for it.

here's a start:

http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product.asp?ProdID=7452

#2 robycop3, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Roger, I have a Bible that fits your cover criteria (soft, flexible) but alas, it is no longer available in print. It is the Ryrie Study Bible in the NKJV. However, the Ryrie in the NKJV hasn't been available for a long time. I bought mine probably 25-30 years ago when Nelson was still publishing them. You might take a look on E- Bay.Sorry I can't be of more help!

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Try http://www.pilkingtonandsons.com. That is where I bought my interleaved Bible (one of the last ones that I could find in the KJV). It is just like you described, and at the time, I think they had it available in the NKJV.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In the description of any of those Bibles; if you see it is covered in calfskin or Morrocan leather you can be assured it will have the "feel"you are looking for , bro.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks Jim,

I am going to be in the States for a week in August for my son's wedding and may try to shop then.

I appreciate the help. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

7. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to check out the Nelson Signature Series Bibles. I have the thinline NKJV in the tan leather. It is the best, must supple, leather I have ever had on a bible. I paid around $99 US for it.

Looks like Amazon has it for $81.89: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785258248/?tag=baptis04-20

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks, thats the one I have been looking at and wondering about

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There are two of these 'interleaved' Bibles shown at this site.

I did note, at this site, that the 'hand-bound' version has goatskin leather, in one case, and the other is also 'genuine leather', although it does not say what kind. And both are priced at a hundred bucks, U.S..

I also noted that neither have references, supposedly, nothing but the text, with the goatskin version having no maps, no concordance, no red letters (which I happen to like, extremely well) no notes, no references, no preface from the translat...

OOPS!! Sorry!

Wrong thread for the last "no preface", comment! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  10. mnw

mnw New Member

There's a great Christian bookshop in Newtownards up here in the God's country. :) If you ever come up this way it may be worth swinging by to have a look. Or maybe Matt and I could do some recon for you if he was interested.

Also, and off topic, they have some GREAT Christian art. Really cool stuff.

I would say it is the best in the country in every way.

11. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I know the NASB Charles Stanley version is calfskin leather and very very soft. Not the NKJV like you wanted but it is the softest I have felt.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is the one I went with (I wish I had bought from Amazon, it was cheaper). I was anxious about buying sight unseen, but I love it. The leather is amazingly supple. Hope it holds up now, but Nelsons have a lifetime warrenty.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Glad you found one you enjoy. With the myriad of Bibles available, today, anyone can surely find one he or she will like, with not too much effort, IMO.

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Glad you found one you enjoy. With the myriad numbers of Bibles available in so many varied versions, editions, and bindings, today, anyone can surely find one he or she will like, with not too much effort, IMO.

Ed

15. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Nelson 546 King James v. This one might help you.