1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a good book on KJV Only

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Captain, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain

Captain New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, I do not want to start a debate on the KJV only group, but I am looking for a good book on the topic. I have been raised in KJV only churches and have just recently started to read in the NASB. I am currently doing a Bible study on the Book of Daniel, and as I go through the curriculum, I read each chapter 2 -3 times comparing the KJV to the NASB. To me, the NASB flows better and is easier for me to read, but there is something about the language in the KJV that brings me back. I guess I couldn't imagine hearing Psalm 23 in any other version but the KJV.
    I am an engineer by trade and I am just looking for something that might portray both sides of the argument and that will let me make up my own mind. I wouldn't even mind one that is somewhat biased to the KJV only argument. I just want something with mostly facts, however I am fully aware that books of this nature will obviously include the authors opinion.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Captain. Welcome to the Baptist Board. I hope you find it helpful.
    Sorry to inform you that you can't mention this without starting a debate here! :eek:
    I am not aware of a book that fairly portrays both sides of the argument (actually there are more than two sides). However, The Bible Version Controversy by Glenn Conjurske might offer up some help. He is a conservative who prefers the King James Bible while opposing KJV-Only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Price's King James Onlyism: A New Sect might also be helpful against some of the more extreme KJVO propaganda writers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Things that are different are not the same", by Pastor Mickey Carter. You can get it on Amazon or directly from Landmark Baptist Church in Haines City, Florida

• Like Like x 1
  5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mickey Carter's book does not make a sound, scriptural case for a modern KJV-only view. I have a copy of it, and I have read it. His weak arguments have been soundly answered. His book does not present "mostly facts".

#5 Logos1560, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far as I know, Glenn Conjurske did not write a book while he was alive. He was a Baptist pastor. In the 1990's, he also published a publication called Old Paths and Ancient Landmarks. In this publication he wrote several articles about English Bibles and about KJV-only. He loved and preferred the KJV, and he was critical of modern English Bible translations. I have read his articles, and he made a strong case against a KJV-only view. We used to correspond with each other and share information. This book was likely compiled from his articles in his publication. If so, it should be a very good book.

#6 Logos1560, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  7. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I learned a lot by reading ‘The King James Only Controversy’ by Dr. James White. Very easy read with great charts and explanations. For the record, White supports the Critical-text underlying most modern translations (NIV, NASB, CSB, ESV, etc.) whereas I support the Byzantine-textform theory. I prefer the texts underlying the KJV and NKJV.

If you were brought up on the KJV, I would recommended the NKJV over the NASB. It keeps the textual basis of the KJV while updating some of the English and sentence structure. However one of it’s goals was to retain the beautiful English found in the KJV (the ESV does a great job of this as well). In my opinion, the NKJV is top-of-the-line.

Blessings.

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board Captain... I'm KJV and don't read study or quote any other and I have two books to recommend... The first one is Crowned With Glory The Bible From Ancient Text To Authorized Version by Dr. Thomas Holland and I highly recommend it... And brethren might be interested in someone who recommended this book also... The first person on the recommendation page is Dr. Thomas Cassidy, President, San Diego Theological Seminary San Diego, California, yeah BB its TC:Thumbsup... Another one I would highly recommend is Translating For King James by Ward Allen, on the original notes of John Bois one of the translator of the King James Bible in 1611 and is well worth the read... You can pick up both books at around $50.00... There are a few of us on here who are pure KJV... Never changed since I joined... Brother Glen:)

#8 tyndale1946, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. It is a compilation of articles from Olde Paths and Ancient Landmarks -- except there are probably five or six articles he wrote that were never published before being included in this book (don't remember how many exactly).

Captain, one reason I recommended Glenn Conjurske is because he sits sort of in the middle, and I am not aware of a book that presents more than one side of the debate. Conjurske clearly presents his own viewpoint as well, but it is not the same as the views on either end of the spectrum. Also, I found that some (possibly most) of the writings in the book are online, which might save you buying the book if you didn't want to.
    Index - Olde Paths

#9 rlvaughn, Feb 11, 2021
  10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Thomas Holland's KJV-only book Crowned With Glory may be the best overall book in favor of a KJV-only view, but it fails to prove a KJV-only view to be true and scriptural. It can still be considered biased, and it does not deal adequately with some important facts and evidence that are serious problems for a KJV-only. Holland's book does not actually answer nor refute the scripturally-based arguments against a KJV-only view.

At the time when Thomas Cassidy recommended this book, he was probably still KJV-only himself. Later Thomas Cassidy abandoned some or most of his KJV-only reasoning/teaching. He no longer considered himself to be KJV-only.

#10 Logos1560, Feb 11, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One possible such book is written by a former KJV-only advocate, Fred Butler. He presents the arguments for KJV-only that he probably held when he was KJV-only and answers or refutes them.

His 2020 book is entitled Royal Deceptions: Exposing the King James Only Conspiracies Against God's Word. His article "Confessions of a KJV-only Advocate" used to be posted online. This book is available at Amazon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to our discussion board. I too started my christian life reading the KJV, but then found the NASB was easier for me to understand. Certainly well studied believers are on both sides of this issue (at least on the KJV preferred and some other version preferred) Another version you might consider is the World English Bible (WEB). It also is based on the Majority Text (rather than the Critical Text) but it does not include what many think are corruptions in the TR, the text underlying the KJV and NKJV.

Final thought, as you study and seek the best way to discern God;s word, you might go with the NKJV or NASB as your primary study bible, but use the WEB as a comparison bible to alert you when differing views are presented.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven’t read the entire NT in the WEB but what I have read has been good. Thanks for adding this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this book is worth the read. It provides sound evidence that is a serious problem for KJV-only reasoning. This book provides first-hand testimony and evidence from one of the KJV translators which would acknowledge or affirm the use of the 1582 Roman Catholic Rheims New Testament in the making of the KJV.

Ward Allen observed: "At Col. 2:18, he [KJV translator John Bois] explains that the [KJV] translators were relying up on the example of the Rheims Bible" (pp. 10, 62-63). The note of John Bois cited a rendering from the 1582 Rheims [“willing in humility”] and then cited the margin of the Rheims [“willfull, or selfwilled in voluntary religion”] (Translating for King James, p. 63). Was the KJV’s rendering “voluntary” borrowed from the margin of the 1582 Rheims?

Ward Allen maintained that "the Rheims New Testament furnished to the Synoptic Gospels and Epistles in the A. V. as many revised readings as any other version" (Translating the N. T. Epistles, p. xxv). Ward Allen and Edward Jacobs claimed that the KJV translators "in revising the text of the synoptic Gospels in the Bishops' Bible, owe about one-fourth of their revisions, each, to the Genevan and Rheims New Testaments" (Coming of the King James Gospels, p. 29). About 1 Peter 1:20, Ward Allen noted: “The A. V. shows most markedly here the influence of the Rheims Bible, from which it adopts the verb in composition, the reference of the adverbial modifier to the predicate, the verb manifest, and the prepositional phrase for you” (Translating for King James, p. 18). Concerning 1 Peter 4:9, Allen suggested that “this translation in the A. V. joins the first part of the sentence from the Rheims Bible to the final phrase of the Protestant translations” (p. 30).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That book is excellent, as he breaks down just what the various views regarding the different Greek texts and translations are!

16. Captain

Captain New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you all for the replies. I have ordered 3 books this morning, per everyone's recommendations. I ordered
    King James Onlyism: A New Sect by Dr. James D. Price, The King James Version Debate, A Plea For Realism, and The King James Only Controversy’ by Dr. James White. The other book, The Bible Version Controversy wasn't available through anyone but Amazon, but for other reasons I won't get into I just don't like to order from Amazon. But thanks everyone who replied.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL of those will be very helpful to you, to help explain just what are the major differences on the views regarding the various greek texts and bible translations!

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are probably three of the top selling books on the subject, at least from the anti-KJVO side. They will not, however, do much for your stated hope of them presenting both sides.
    You're welcome, and best wishes with your study. I looked on the straitgate site and noticed that though they do sell some of Conjurske's books, they do not sell the above mentioned one. Just in case it got lost in the shuffle, I'll mention the link again that has a number of his writings, including ones on the KJVO subject:
    Index - Olde Paths

19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found some value in, "Defending the King James Bible" by D.A. Waite:
    https://www.amazon.com/Defending-King-James-Bible-Waite/dp/1568480121

I've also read through at least once, James White's book, " The King James Only Controversy" which I thought was well-written, even though I disagreed with some of his conclusions:
    https://www.amazon.com/King-James-Only-Controversy-Translations/dp/0764206052/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IG1KTVG1H9XV&dchild=1&keywords=the+king+james+only+controversy&qid=1613332274&s=books&sprefix=the+king+james+only+,stripbooks,198&sr=1-1

"Revision Revised" by John Burgon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Revision-Rev...evision+revised&qid=1613332209&s=books&sr=1-1

But if it were me looking at this for the very first time,
    I would steer away from any of the books that try to sensationalize or otherwise depart from a more objective and textual view... from either side.
    Those authors include Gail Riplinger, Peter Ruckman, and several others.

In other words,
    Having read many of the books from both "KJV-Only" defenders and those who disagree with them ( and even openly attack each other ), I much prefer sticking strictly to the textual and translational investigation, its results and implications and staying out of any books or discussions that purposefully bad-mouth one side or the other....which I've also seen both sides of on many forums and websites.

May God bless you with much wisdom as you look at this very detailed subject.:)

#19 Dave G, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the BB, Captain. :Thumbsup

The Unbound Scriptures
    , by Rick Norris, is the best I have seen. If I only had two books to recommend it would be Norris and James Price. (Caveat--Price and Norris are both friends of mine. :))

About James White, his book is okay overall, but he is weak on understanding the Byzantine/Majority positions. Also, I'm put off by the fact that his PhD is from what I consider to be a degree mill, though his master's is reputable. So then, he doesn't have quite the rigor that a genuine PhD can train you for. But then, D. A. Waite has genuine doctorates, but not the rigor. :Cautious So a genuine degree does not ensure rigor, nor does the lack of one.

Rick Norris' website: King James Only Information
    James Price's website: The Life and Research of James D. Price

#20 John of Japan, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.