1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a good harmony of the Gospels

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HeirofSalvation, Jun 16, 2019.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have a Throckmorton's that I was encouraged to buy for college, but I don't particularly care for it as it's a little hard to use and it is RSV which I don't use.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Harmony of the gospels.(KJV) that is easy to use and adds little or no fluff such as notes etc....I have trolled online, but haven't seen any that let you preview the pages.

I only want easy to read comparisons and minimal notes. I don't want to spend money on one I won't like. Can anybody recommend one please? Thanks...

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have before me The Life of Christ in Stereo by Johnston Cheney, published by Western Conservative Baptist Seminary. Its presentation is a combined narrative rather than the usual format in columns.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two I think are very good. Not perfect, since there are open matters of interpreation. A Harmony of the Gospels, by A. T. Robertson. I have that most useful in my study of the gospel account events for some 50 years. And the other is the gospel harmaony as found in The Life Application Study Bible.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV, ...looks like your stuck with Robertson’s.

Logos has a ‘parallel text reader’ that allows you to use any translation you choose.

Personally, without trying to discourage you in any way, I’d encourage you to begin studying a book on narrative (literary) criticism.

Matthew as Story by Jack Kingsbury helped to open my eyes to how the Gospel writers arranged their Gospels and why they differ.

Rob

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP asked about a KJV harmony. Robertson's is based on the ASV as I recall.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Read such books...
    I went to University of London, which like any non-fundamentalist college, would encourage such studies.
    I have books on each individual gospel as narrative....or the individual gospel writer's larger Theological thrust. That's not what I need.

I want a harmony of the gospels.

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I'll look into it.
    I'm looking for the columns style...

Hopefully, someone knows of one.

I can live with a non-kjv translation if there isn't a KJV one, which I prefer, but I want an easy typeface more than anything.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I'll probably get that one.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I can live with it being ASV if there's no KJV one.

Thanks!

Anyone else have a suggestion!

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A. T. Robertson's is in a column format with full text. RV (ASV). Now the App MySword his book as a free add in the app is KJV. With the option of using it with Strong's numbers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Thank you!