1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship Salvation? - Part Two

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DeafPosttrib, Jul 16, 2007.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

No that's ALL he lacked because that's what JESUS SAID! Do you really think Jesus was lying? Or did Jesus say what He meant and mean what He said?

And so there is NO confusion on what HE SAID here it is:

Mark 10:21
    The Amplified Bible
    And Jesus, looking upon him, loved him, and He said to him, You lack one thing; go and sell all you have and give [the money] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come [and] accompany Me [ walking the same road that I walk].
    The Holy Bible, New International VersionĀ®
    Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    Holy Bible, The New Living Translation
    Jesus felt genuine love for this man as he looked at him. "You lack only one thing," he told him. "Go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    Contemporary English Version
    Jesus looked closely at the man. He liked him and said, "There's one thing you still need to do. Go sell everything you own. Give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come with me."
    The King James Version (Authorized)
    Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    The New King James Version
    Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me."
    The New Revised Standard Version
    Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."
    Young's Literal Translation
    And Jesus having looked upon him, did love him, and said to him, `One thing thou dost lack; go away, whatever thou hast -- sell, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me, having taken up the cross.'
    Holman Christian Standard BibleĀ®
    Then, looking at him, Jesus loved him and said to him, "You lack one thing: Go, sell all you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me."

And that ONE THING was NOT FAITH.

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

'Course there is the little manner of the Holy Scripture's referring to them as "disciples" rather than "those who considered themselves disciples, but weren't really real truely true, for sure, not-like-the-catholics, disciples"

3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Ahhhhh. That's better

Lacy:tonofbricks:

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Didn't want to leave anyone out. And I could only choose 10 translations and when I clicked on the KJV it said that was number 11, so I even went back and deleted one to include that. Does that give you the warm fuzzies :laugh:. Love ya brother!

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

God called these people disciples. Were they really disciples?

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

In Mark 10:17, he asked how he might inherit aionian life.

Inheritance is a family matter, is it not?

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Gimme' a break! :rolleyes:

Ed

8. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

And my mama would always follow up with, "Arm or leg?"

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Catholics "follow" Christ...but they don't understand salvation. Disciple simply means follower. Judas was a follower, and was CLEARLY not saved.
    Many will say "Lord, Lord...". Thay cast out demons in His name. They "followed" Christ, but were lost.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

So exactly how does Satan cast out Satan?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? Unbelievers are satan? Benny Hinn may be lost...but he's not satan!

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1 Corinthians 3:15
    If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Seems these people are saved from hell even though their works were worthless. Maybe Paul didn't know about ME.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

So people can cast out demons on their own authority? Humans are more powerful than demons? Is that what you are saying?

My question is by who's authority did these folks cast out demons? You say it wasn't by Christ's Authority, so who's was it? It seems the only other option is Satan. But Christ said Satan can not cast himself out of anyone.

Since these Lord, Lord criers "did" in fact cast out demons the only possible answer is they did it by the power of Christ meaning they were saved.

The only other option is they were lying, but again we are given no indication in the text that this is so.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do demons know who is saved or not? Those people use the name of Christ to cast out the demon..not on their own authority.

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Again just curious the text says "through" fire. How do you go get around, skip out on, go above, go below the fire. The text says "through" fire, so doesn't that mean they have to go "through" fire?

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Sorry, but unsaved folks don't have any Authority in Christ, nor can they call on Christ's Authority.

Do you really think Christ would give His Authority to an unsaved person?

What the demons know or don't know is immaterial.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'll probably get slammed for this but here goes.
    Since Jesus was talking to Jews who had cast out demons (by the power of God), His point is that they will be in for a shock when He tells them at the judgement that "I never knew you". The reason He never knew them? They rejected Christ, their Messiah who will be their judge.

This passage is not speaking about future Gentile believers.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I guess this another instance where Christendom is wrong.
    It means they have escaped hell, but will have no rewards.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hear people using the name of Christ and God all of the time who aren't saved in vain. Demon's hear the name of Christ and tremble.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Shadrach, Meshach and Abenego went through fire. How did that turn out?