1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Loss of your rights

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Sep 9, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I agree with the other posters. The right to privacy has somehow already been lost for most people. Due to modern technology, someone can easily have access to your personal information and hack your accounts. This is actually getting quite alarming.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The misunderstanding is yours: did Christians have a right to pray in School then? Do they now (and in view are the authority figures, not the students, who can still pray individually and in groups)?

It's not a matter of Constitutional Right, it is a matter that a pattern once seen in America...is gone.

And that this impacts religious views and religious practice is incontrovertible.

From an article meant to do exactly what you are doing, that is, defend the New Order, we can see, if we look, the differences of then and now. The Green will be "The New School Prayer, followed by the commentary (in blue) meant to dismantle the argument presented in the "Prayer."

Note-"What the Law says" (in blue) is the argument against the view that anything has changed, or that anything has been lost. My own comments will be in black and white.

"THE NEW SCHOOL PRAYER"

Now I sit me down at school,
    Where praying is against the rule

What the laws say:

Praying in school is not against the law. In fact, the U.S. Constitution guarantees students the right to pray in public schools; it is a protected form of free speech. A student can pray on the school bus, in the corridors, in the cafeteria, in their student-run Bible club, at the flagpole, sports stadium, and elsewhere on school grounds. They can even pray silently before and after class in the classroom. They are not allowed to pray solely Christian prayers as an organized part of the school schedule. However, they may be able to hear or read prayers from a variety of religious traditions and inspiring statements from secular sources. Prayers cannot solely be from a single religious faith group.

They obscure the facts from the beginning. I would like to see the School where a Teacher can lead a class in school.

Now our Poster in this post is arguing against prayer being led by the authority figure, but what he misses also is that in Early America this was simply common practice. Because many early Americans had something that is also lacking in America today, that is, fear of God, religion was a part of the training methods used.

So the primary point of this post is not to debate whether teachers should lead children in school or integrate Biblical values and the Bible into their teaching, it is whether they once did.

And they did.

And that is gone.

While I agree that those of other religions have the right to practice their own beliefs, that does not change the fact that it was not other religious groups that founded this country.

For this great nation under God,
    Finds mention of Him very odd.

What the laws say:

This is also untrue. On average, Americans are quite religious. Church attendance is higher than in any other industrialized nation. Attendance in the US is twice that of Canada and four times that of many European countries. However, in order to preserve the separation of church and state, there are a few restrictions on prayer in government facilities -- including public schools.

I would agree, so, if the article argues, this is a very religious nation...why has the school system changed so dramatically? And they do not define what "a few restrictions" means. The religiosity of America outside the school (and outside America) is not the point, it is what has happened in schools that is in view.

If Scripture now the class recites,
    It violates the Bill of Rights.

What the laws say:

Bible passages can be recited in class during the study of comparative religions. But they would have to be balanced by passages from other religions and statements from ethical movements.

What they miss is the fact that the condition for being allowed to cite Bible Passages is dependent on others.

That is freedom of expression? That is not restrictive?

Absurd.

And anytime my head I bow
    Becomes a Federal matter now

What the laws say:

As noted above, individual students are quite free to pray throughout their public school building and throughout their school day.
    Our hair can be purple, orange, or green,
    That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
    The law is specific, the law is precise.

This is true, but again...that is not the point. The point is that once Biblical values were a core element in American Schools. That was due to the importance of the Bible and it's teachings to Early America.

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

What the laws say:

As noted above, students are free to pray almost anywhere in school.

Almost anywhere. Why almost? Isn't that a little like sort of pregnant?

For praying in a public hall
    Might offend someone with no faith at all

What the laws say:

It is true that, according to the Golden Rule, Christians should not perform acts which offend other people. Also, Matthew 6:6 does discourage Christians from engaging in public prayer. But the main reason for restriction on school prayer is the principle of separation of church and state.

So you have freedom of religion only if you're actions do not offend someone else. Is that actually freedom? I mean, we know how offensive it is to pray for people, better not do that in the hall, someone might get offended.

And Matthew 6:6 discourages public prayer? No it doesn't...it discourages hypocrisy. Maybe if whoever had written this article was familiar with the Bible...they would have noticed that Christ not only prays in Public very often, immediately following His teaching against hypocritical prayer for the benefit of glory...He publicly teaches His Disciples how to pray.

Folks, this is the result of secular liberals, and even religious liberals who have no understanding of the Word of God. This is the kind of arguments we hear from these kind of people.

They obscure the big picture with apologetics designed to justify their anti-biblical nature.

Continued...

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In silence alone we must meditate.

What the laws say:

Some states have passed laws requiring or allowing a moment of silence before class. But students are free to engage in prayer, meditation, or any other thought process, as long as they are silent.

Passed a law requiring or allowing? "You can do it, and have to do it...when we say you can or will...?"

As long as they are silent?

God's name is prohibited by the state.

What the laws say:

It is not. One example is the national motto: "In God We Trust."

Just don't mention Him out loud...

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
    And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
    They've outlawed guns

What the laws say:

,... Students are allowed wide latitude in dress and jewelry, including religious clothing and accessories. It is true that schools do prohibit guns from the campus, for security reasons.

So how many kids came to school years ago cussing, dressing radically, or pierced?

Is there a relationship to removing a Bible based element and Biblically minded teachers/authorities from school?

No, of course not, Americans would have gradually become enlightened even if the fear of God was still an element in school.

Right?

...but FIRST the Bible.
    To quote the Good book makes me liable.

What the laws say:

The Bible is not outlawed. The U.S. Constitution protects students' freedom of speech. They can quote freely from the Bible in their essays and projects.
    The teacher can read passages from the Bible can even be read in the classroom, as part of a comparative religion class. But they have to be balanced with passages from the texts of other religions and from secular movements.

So which is it, freedom of speech, or...don't publicly pray because it could offend someone, and if you mention God...don't say His Name out loud?

And hey, after all, Bible Passages can be read in certain classrooms.

No restrictions? Freedom?

And if there is no balancing with passages from texts of other religions? What that means is that it won't happen unless certain conditions are meant.

No restriction?

No change?

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
    And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
    It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
    We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.

What the laws say:

In most schools, students have the right to democratically elect their Senior Queen & King.
    Ethics and morality can be taught in school. But they cannot be taught from the perspective of a single branch of a single religion. The full range of beliefs of right and wrong need to be included. (See Note 1)

This too is misleading, because it suggests that Early America was just one big happy family of the same faith/branch.

That is not the case.

The one common denominator among most (and there were atheists) is the Bible, and the God of the Bible.

So the restrictions we have seen, which are supposed to ridicule and dismantle the "Prayer," are clear to those who do not have a secular liberal agenda to follow. To those who are not anti-biblical.

Would Americans even 50 years ago have agreed with the Muslim that condones beheadings of infidels? That is a right (as opposed to wrong) for many Muslims.

So is their reasoning logical? No, is not even reasonable. It doesn't even broach common sense.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,

What the laws say:

Some schools do have condom dispensers and/or health clinics. These have been shown to be a very effective way of reducing unwanted pregnancy and STD transmission.

Is there a rise in "unwanted" pregnancy and STDs in recent years?

You watch some liberal find a stat that says there has been a decline, lol.

Again, the point is, don't teach kids safe sex...teach them moral values that make the distribution of condoms irrelevant.

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

What the laws say:

True. Study of Witchcraft (a.k.a. Wicca) would be valid in a comparative religion course. So would totem poles, which are part of Native American spirituality. Vampire legends could form a part of history or sociology courses.

That's not the point. I believe those who practice these things have, as Americans, the right to do so.

But would we have seen them doing so 50 years ago?

The answer is no.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
    No word of God must reach this crowd.

What the laws say:

This is wrong. The Ten Commandments can be taught; they can even be posted on the walls of public schools. However, they must not appear by themselves. Other religious rules of behavior and secular laws must accompany the Ten Commandments to give a balanced cultural display.

They can be posted only if they do not appear by themselves.

Okay, so how often does the Satanist actually post the commandments of Satan? How often does the Goth post the Ten Commandments of Dracula? How often does the American Indian post the Ten Commandments of the Great Spirit in the Sky?

Continued...

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's scary here I must confess,
    When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
    So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
    Should I be shot; My soul please take!
    Amen

What the laws say:

It is important to realize that schools are relatively safe places. An average of about two dozen students have been shot in U.S. schools annually in recent years. This compares with thousands shot outside of school buildings each year.
    Major factors involved in
    past in-school shootings have been:

[​IMG] very serious mental illness on the part of the perpetrator(s), or
    [​IMG] revenge for years of hate, marginalization and rejection of the perpetrators by the school's social elite.
    If prayers from a single religion were re-introduced into public classrooms, they would provide one more criteria by which the majority could discriminate against and marginalize minorities. The end result would probably be more school violence, not less.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ps_pra8.htm

Not sure where they get their statistics. In the last week alone I have heard of a dozen being shot. In Oregon and Arizona.

And again the point is missed that an increase in violence is clear, and...they can be directly linked to mental health issues. Many mass shootings are perpetrated by people on psych meds, which often have side effects of hostility and suicidal intentions. And who is putting these kids on psych meds? Is there a link between schools and psych meds? How many kids begin their course to psych meds because they are rambunctious, ADHD, and prescribed meds?

Lets look at the article's point of view:

If prayers from a single religion were re-introduced into public classrooms, they would provide one more criteria by which the majority could discriminate against and marginalize minorities. The end result would probably be more school violence, not less.

Folks...do you see that?

If prayer from a single religion were re-introduced (which shows they are aware that it has been removed and was once the norm)...

...the end result would probably be more school violence.

Where is the logic?

School violence has increased because prayer has been taken out of school and they don't make the connection?

Absurd.

And just to reiterate...we are not talking about a "single religion." As early as the First Century sectarian division has been a problem in the Body of Christ, and there is no "single religion."

This is the kind of reasoning offered by antichrist liberals, who, because they do not know the God of the Bible, do not want Him in Public Schools. They replace Him with secular teachers and counselors whose hope is in modern science, and ultimately...man. If a child has a discipline problem, don't you dare teach that kid there are consequences for evil behavior...put him on a drug to calm him down. Then prescribe more drugs and hope they will handle the side effects of the first drugs.

Don't teach kids the importance of the People of God...teach them how important Mesopotamia was to mankind. Don't teach them how important the Gospel is...teach them great Rome was, and we can thank them for roads and indoor plumbing.

And we see people who call themselves Christians defending the agendas of human secularization. This is probably the most grievous result of what has happened in this country.

Let's see this again:

What the laws say: It is true that, according to the Golden Rule, Christians should not perform acts which offend other people. Also, Matthew 6:6 does discourage Christians from engaging in public prayer. But the main reason for restriction on school prayer is the principle of separation of church and state.

This is the type of expository preaching we get from liberals that are antichrist.

This is why we see people stating that illegal aliens enjoy the same rights we do. The same freedoms.

Because they are so earnest to defend their own liberal views and agendas, they simply miss the big picture.

God bless.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell, I feel so sorry for you. You constructed this monstrously large and rambling strawman about my views on prayer and I didn't even read past the first sentence. I suspect no one else has read it either. Such a waste of time...

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't flatter yourself, my friend, the intention was illustrating and addressing the secular and liberal method of apologetics.

Pointing out your particular error was a side issue.

;)

God bless.

7. acmoore423

acmoore423 New Member

I understand the constitution. I do understand that living in today's society of course they will expect what you are offering. I was merely saying if you go back in the nation's history so many years the concern over what religion would be practiced or allowed over the intercom would not be questioned. Today it is questioned because the Christian community has lost the backbone to say that we do not allow the progressive thinking of today in our schools. Think back 30 years, a prayer would only be Christian. Any other type of prayer would bring the wrath of the community. Now if it is a Christian prayer, it brings the wrath of the community? Why is this? I think that is why more important question to consider. Do not concern yourself with which religion on which day. Ask why as a church we do not become upset that the Christian prayer is still in the church everyday! Though we sit back and let these rights be taken from us. What else will we as Christians be taken from us? The Book of Matthew, tells that the Christian community will suffer quite a bit more taken from it. Are you prepared for that battle?

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do aliens have unalienable rights?