1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Love Alone Saves

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I created this thread for the purpose of clarification on what appears to be a Catholic position of salvation based solely upon "Loving thy Neighbour as thy self" apart from any rejecting of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

There has always been a debate between "Faith Alone" and "Faith plus works". But now I have encountered yet another position from the RCC camp which is "Love Alone".

We know the definition of "Faith Alone"; which is Trusting in Jesus Christ's sacrifice for sin, that He was crucified for our transgressions, that He was buried in a tomb, that He was raised to life again the third day, believing He is the Son of God and receiving Him as Lord and God through regeneration (born-again) is how a person is justified and saved APART from any good works which naturally follow the new creation/new heart in Christ.

We know the definition of "Faith plus works"; which is the same as above with the exception that the works and love do not naturally follow out of the new creation/new heart and must be maintained of oneself in order to be justified and saved. At anytime, even after 20 years, one could stop doing good deeds and be lost forever, even though they may have had many years of good deeds prior.

But we now have a new third option introduced here by a few Catholic friends, 'Love Alone".

The definition of "Love Alone" goes like this; A person can reject the above definition of "Faith Alone" and even the above definition of "Faith plus works" and as long as they demonstrate Love as did the good Samaritan Jesus spoke of, they will be justified and saved.

I would like to hear from all the Catholics here on this board. Is this a rogue belief by a few Catholics, or is this the consensus of all Catholics in general?

We have folks in Judaism and Islam who are very loving people, would give you the shirt off of their very backs. Can they reject the above facts about Jesus Christ and still be saved?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The big problem with that view is that the bible never actually states that its by love that we are saved, but by Grace of God alone, and that love results from that!

3. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Generally there is a three part vision shared by Catholic charities.
    1) Serve all people
    2) Advocate for social justice
    3) Follow church traditions

In so doing, they believe they are living out the gospel.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They are saying God is Love, thus those who love are obeying God and thus are of God/saved.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that Love by itself will not atone for sins, one needs to pay the sin debt in full first!

6. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith = Hear and Do
    Love = commitment & dedication

2Jn 1:6 And this is the love, that we walk according to His commands. This is the command, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

Joh_14:15 “If you love Me, you shall guard My commands.

Exo_20:6 but showing kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and guard My commands.

Deu 6:4 “Hear, O Yisra’ĕl: יהוה our Elohim, יהוה is one!
    Deu 6:5 “And you shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your might.
    Deu 6:6 “And these Words which I am commanding you today shall be in your heart,

Lev 19:17 ‘Do not hate your brother in your heart. Reprove your neighbour, for certain, and bear no sin because of him.
    Lev 19:18 ‘Do not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the children of your people. And you shall love your neighbour as yourself. I am יהוה.

Mat 19:17 And He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except One – Elohim. But if you wish to enter into life, guard the commands.”.​

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, Salvation begins with faith....that is covered in the OP...

"We know the definition of "Faith Alone"; which is Trusting in Jesus Christ's sacrifice for sin, that He was crucified for our transgressions, that He was buried in a tomb, that He was raised to life again the third day, believing He is the Son of God and receiving Him as Lord and God through regeneration (born-again) is how a person is justified and saved..."

8. saved by grace

Site Supporter

Love alone.......this is the first I've heard of this since I became Catholic. This could only come from rogue liberal Catholics who are pushing the so-called social justice. The Church teaches now and has always taught that salvation is through grace alone. Faith alone is rejected because it isn't biblical nor part of Apostolic Tradition. Faith working through love, as Paul states, is salvation because both faith and love come from Grace.
    If a person can be saved by love alone then even an atheist could be saved because even an atheist can love. The question would be, is this a love that comes from an infusion of God's grace into his soul or just natural love. If it is an infusion of God's grace then that atheist is being moved by God and on his way towards a saving faith but he is not there yet.
    Love alone is not in Scripture, Tradition or the Magisterium and it must be in all three for it to be part of the deposit of faith once delivered from the apostles.

9. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure that it's a specifically Catholic thing as much as it is across the board of progressive Christian denominations. This sounds like what I heard for two years in a liberal seminary before I headed for the hills.

10. Dr . Bruno VAN de VLIET

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the book of Acts we find the workings of a young church led by the Apostles. The church had a mission and a vision. The method they used to bring the gospel was by preaching. 1/4 of Acts are sermons. Never in the book of Acts do you even find the word 'love' mentioned, not in the preaching of the young church, not in the rest of the text. So 'love' never was a thriving issue in evangelism nor in preaching to the church.

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But love sure was one of the main teachings of Jesus Christ, wouldn't you agree?

12. Dr . Bruno VAN de VLIET

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main teaching of Jesus was not love, but He installed the law of love. Underlying is the judgment of men. The outward view can be love but the basis is the wrath of God or how we can avoid it. This is justification - to become righteous, acceptable to God. In these parts God is love but also just and righteous. The saying that the main teaching of Jesus is love fall therefore short to reality and the character of the Lord God and the mission of the Lord Jesus on earth.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RCC denies pauline Justifcation. so would have another gospel!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but love does not save us, but is a byproduct of salvation!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds a lot like the social Gospel message!

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This sounds like Calvinism to me. Grace alone? What about faith? What about freewill to choose Jesus Christ or reject Him? Grace alone would be Calvinism, No? Wouldn't that mean God grants some Grace and others He withholds?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The RCC teaches saved by Grace alone, but NOT that the Cross is sufficient alone to save us, as we must also vo operate God and assist Him by taking the sacraments....
    They see that a sinner must become good enough to actually merit it from God...

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He laid down his life for us because of love. That was the example, that was the teaching. It is a simple concept and you are making it more complicated than it really is.

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's the Marxist "liberation theology", which many Roman church Universities promote and which the current pope also promotes.

20. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who's will wins out, God's will or man's will? One of the two has to overrule the other? Whose will has authority over the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.