1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Loyal Opposition/Traditional soteriology

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rlvaughn, Jul 5, 2017.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. I was terrified that you would expose me as a fraud
    :Laugh

Actually, I saw it. But it was doomed.
    They don't allow threads about specific BB members.

Try making one about doctrine, not me.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one problem here is that he is dealing with the SBC as if it were prescriptive of local church doctrine rather than descriptive of what they hold as a common belief necessary for fellowship and joining together for kingdom work.

SBC soteriological tradition has always been more open than Hankins is pretending it to be. There has never, not even one time, been a SBC that rejected all, or even the same, Calvinistic points because there has never been a SBC leadership that represented the exact soteriological views of every church that belonged to the Convention in such a narrow manner.

I’ve pointed to the Calvinism of R.B.C. Howell in his letters against the extreme Calvinism of the anti-missions movement churches. At the same period in time we had J.R. Graves who was non-Calvinistic (he based God’s preordination in election on a pre-knowledge, God knowing “end from end”).

The problem, as I see it, is that people on both sides of the issue here are wanting to narrow down what it means to be SBC and exclude the doctrines of the other group. One (some Calvinists) seem to want to do this at a “grass-roots level” by changing the doctrine of the local churches. Others (some non-Calvinists) want to do this by changing the climate of the SBC itself from a leadership level (which would ultimately exclude either Calvinistic churches or the active participation of Calvinists within the Convention).

I think that ultimately there may be a split over the issue, and I hope that the split is the departure of the “forceful, sneaky” Calvinists along with those who would follow Hankins in discriminating against Calvinistic churches by denying them either a voice or an active, equal role in SBC leadership.

This discussion (within the SBC....not on this forum) may be an indicator that the SBC has outgrown its purpose as a Convention.

3. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It was about doctrine and what you believe. Sigh...I suspect we'll never know.

4. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It sounds like the SBC should just merge with the Evangelical (Evanjellyfish) Free Church so that local churches can just do whatever they want as long as they affirm Jesus atonement for sinners. Such a loose connection allows for nearly anything at the local level. It is there where the splits occur.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the SBC has a good standard as it is. (I would not advocate a looser association)

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think Jesus did everything His parents told Him when He was 2 years old? How about when He was 1 year old?

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw that thread and knew it would be deleted. It's against the board's rules to have members as topics of threads.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good to know. I use Tapatalk to post so I haven't read the fine print.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The better question would be...what does scripture say?

And a close second...am I obligated to give an answer which fits into your theological paradigm?

The bible doesn't answer this question directly. Nor are we told whether everything they told Him to do was in keeping with His Father's will.

So any definite answer would be speculation. Not that I mind speculating, but I would never get into a fight over it, and wouldn't mind if someone came to a better answer.

Start a thread with it. It might be fun.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can rest assured. If God wills, you will.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Back to the OP...from the article;
    Here he claims to Have a PH.D. in systematic theology and does not grasp that a so called 3 pt calvinist is someone who is yet without understanding.
    I find this disturbing as he has written it....He cannot really articulate the position without making a strawman...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is goes for the strawman approach suggesting Fatalism...which no cal believes.

He suggests a god who is not in control of all things? contingency??

Yes...Calvinists see what scripture declares and view it as God has revealed it. You Eric start with man as one of your speakers, Leighton Flowers is known for as a champion of man centered theology and carnal philosophy, not bible based exegesis. We saw his failure in the romans 9 debate and his 24/7 opposition to the truths we know as Calvinism.

#32 Iconoclast, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unfounded assertions...Strawmanfest...show what you say is true without bearing false witness.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well we will never know for sure until we walk together again in the cool (Heb - Ruach-Spirit) of the evening.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hankins mentions that the Baptist faith and message is weak on calvinism.
    Yes it is because it was written to be a compromise document ....to allow goats go come in with the idea that if we get them in,maybe they will hear truth and make some progress.
    Using Finneys new measures they have many goats in among the assembly.
    The goats thinking they have free will pick and choose what they would like to believe instead of dealing honestly with the texts.
    So a doctrine of compromise that remains vague on the harder issues,is just what the doctor ordered.
    Eric Hankins does not want those pesky Calvinists coming in and disturbing the weak lifeway booklets...and actually opening the scriptures up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you in part. The Baptist Faith and Message is weak on Calvinism but the reason is because the churches within the Convention did not deem Calvinism a doctrine to divide over, not to allow unChristian churches in the Convention (you are forgetting that it is the local church, not the SBC, that determines church doctrine).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being that God is fully in control over salvation itself, why would we even doubt that truth?

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obviously I have a bias as I interact with this attack by Eric Hankins so I will acknowledge that up front.
    You are correct in what you say, and I am sure there are sincere Christians caught up in the middle of this mess.
    To avoid division in any Church...love has to be present. I do not believe doctrine needs to divide, but I have been interacting with some in the comment section and they ascribe Calvinism to Satan.:Devilish:Cautious

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eric Hankins says;
    He and others cannot demonstrate this and Calvinism gets introduced into any assembly people enjoy the scriptures being fully taught. This kind of rhetoric appeals to goats and weak defective believers.
    I am not saying that to be harsh. Test it for yourself. Ask a traditionalist to explain the teaching and you will discover that 8 out of 10 cannot begin to enter into the discussion.
    The problem is in his lack of understanding.

He continues;
    This is his philosophy and yet it confuses it is biblical teaching
    Not at all...the gospel is preached in all the world.It is only in his mind that this takes place.

#39 Iconoclast, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminians don't.

They view God as giving all men the ability and power to choose that which He has provided for all.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

No I am not a follower of Arius or Calvin for that matter.
    I have to many disagreements with either.

Doctrines of grace sounds better than attaching a man's name to a body of beliefs.

HankD