1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lt William Calley

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Lt Calley a murder or a scapegoat?
    How about Cpt Media

Open for discussion

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both. His conviction and discharge from the U.S. Army were upheld; but the prison sentence and parole obligations were commuted to time served, leaving Calley a free man by 1975.

But he did admit fault. "There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai. I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry.... If you are asking why I did not stand up to them when I was given the orders, I will have to say that I was a 2nd Lieutenant getting orders from my commander and I followed them—foolishly, I guess." (Speech to the Kiwanis Club of Greater Columbus, August 2009.

The only real hero in this entire sordid event was Chief Warrant Officer (later Captain) Hugh Thompson Jr.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I remember this vivdly although I was a young teen at the time.
    I DO think that William Calley was a scapegoat for a horrific event, but how can soldiers not be brutalised in war, their training teaching them to view the enemy as un human

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a local show called Bowling For Dollars, (I know, it was boring). The host was asking bowlers their opinion of William Calley. That was highly unusual. He was removed shortly thereafter as host of that program.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Both.

6. Nam 68

Nam 68 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an old saying,"for those who fought for it freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"I believe the same of war.War too,has a flavor about it that is known ONLY to those who have been to war. That is not to say of course that all have no say in the matter
    I believe.he was a textbook case of a scapegoat.Talk to any vet especially a grunt (infantry man)they will tell you of the many scapegoats of war.No way as serious but a scapegoat nonetheless.Theres 100s of them from minor infractions to the Lts. case.He got caught and was made an example of "WE WONT STAND FOR THIS"by,I'll only say others.
    Yes he did admit guilt but I suspect that was,at least in part, part of his plea deal yet any human would feel as he did after such a thing.Another old saying is",theres nothing more dangerous in battle than a 2nd Lt. with a map."Those young men had enormous responsibilites thrust upon them with pressures from every front ie body counts,kill ratios and on and on.In war,at least that one,the great words of our former president "the buck stops here", well it stopped somewhere else along the way before it got to the battle fields and rice patties of Vietnam.When all the post and books have been written it boils down to this.Lt. Calley did what he thought was right at that particular time and never ever forget,it wasn't the country that was fought for,not democracy,not even the flag-it was for each other.
    Give an 18 or 19 year old a fully automatic weapon in that environment and well..........Think about it,only four years of school and a quick O.C S, separated the Lt. from those he commanded.One last thing.I'm sure Lt Calley and others would scratch their heads over why NOBODY EVER ASK WHAT GOOD I DID THEY JUST ASK HOW MANY PEOPLE I KILLED.By the way,ALL were heros.Maybe not to the country but in the eyes of each other they are and that's what counts.
    God Bless

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In grad work at University of Wisconsin for history ed degree I took "military ethics" class. One text was "From Nuremberg to My Lai" (compiled by Baird). I think I was the only member of the class who was conservative and when I spoke of understanding BOTH sides of the issues here.

All the liberals (hated war - remember, bombing on UW campus in protest had killed people) thought ALL soldiers who killed others were evil and should be executed. Killing = bad. Killing soldiers = good. Tense round-table discussion with future public school history teachers.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious.

How many taking that "military ethics" class were former military? More specifically Vietnam veterans?

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    More importantly, how many teaching such classes had "seen the elephant?"

Nobody can understand in even the smallest way what Robert S. McNamara called "the fog of war" until he has been there and done that.

And the result is "teachers" teaching something they know absolutely nothing about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And "Teaching" their students to be as ignorant as they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just watched a documentary on this a few nights ago.
    IMHO he was more a scapegoat, but legally, a murderer.
    If I remember correctly from that docu the intel they had was that My Lai, a.k.a., "Pinkville" because Quang Mai province was colored pink in a map, had active Vietcong and Vietcong sympathizers, and that the "friendlies" or "neutrals", the villagers, have been advised to move out, and therefore any civilian, armed or unarmed, still in the area is either a combatant, or a sympathizer, and the zone was a free fire zone.
    In actuality, their target was more than a hundred miles West of My Lai.
    IF so, then it was stupid intel, perhaps hastily gathered, unverified, but used and fed to troops.
    The Army did not want to admit that civilians have been killed as a result of their own stupidity, so Lt. Calley and Capt. Medina were "it".
    I think there is more than meets the eye when it comes to the investigation that was done.
    I think Medina's and Calley's investigation was for public show and consumption, but, that, the Army did some discreet, back room inquiries on who blew the intel, or if not, maybe they should have.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What station was that on? Hoping they will replay it. soon

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    War is hell (Probably unquenchable napalm).

I must admit that though I was in the military during the VC era and I saw no combat and I am thankful.

I would have done my duty no doubt and killed enemy combatants but I would also no doubt have been really messed up as were some of my buddies (well one anyway).

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same boat here Hank - I ended up in Germany during the cold way.
    And unless you were there - you cannot understand what those guys went thur.
    During my Career - I met many Nam vets - but few really wanted to talk about it.

On CQ, early one morning - I went to wake up an E-6 ( his wife was calling from the CONUS) - I thought the guy was gonna kill me. I was then advised to use a "10 ft pole" to wake up a combat Vet

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I volunteered for Nam and went to desk duty in Detroit Naval Yard. When Nixon offered to "decommission" me (and many other officers in his attempt to phase down the war and win 1972 reelection) I walked away. Sadly since I'd only just begun, they "bought out" their obligation and I signed away any future "rights". Needed $$ then, but could use the VA now :Sick

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nam 68

Nam 68 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I regretted many times getting out too You are right about the VA. I started using them in 2010. Have IHD ,loss of hearing,PPD(vertigo)tinnitus and a scar all service related. VA mails all my meds straight to my door and a tidy little sum each month

18. Nam 68

Nam 68 New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just noticed your mess ended with sick. Hope it's nothing to serious.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. Maybe not. Different people have different capacities to handle the stress of combat.

When I told a shrink I didn't suffer from PTSD, her response was " yes, you do. You just don't know it." I thought then taht she was full of beans. Still do. But that eventually became the attitude of almost all shrinks toward Vietnam vets. Part of the victimization process.

A lot of us refuse to be victims.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. I am not a victim. I am a victor! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1