1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther quotes...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

For Your Reading Enjoyment...
    (most quotes taken from THEOLOGY OF THE REFORMERS, by Timothy George...specific citations can be found in the books footnotes.)

"The first thing I ask is that people should not make use of my name, and should not call themselves Lutherans but Christians. What is Luther? The teaching is not mine. Nor was I crucified for anyone...How did I, poor stinking bag of maggots that I am, come to the point where people call the children of Christ by my evil name?"

"I simply taught, preached, wrote God's Word; otherwise I did nothing. And then, while I slept, or drank Wittenburg bear with my Philip and my Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that never a prince or emperor did such damage to it. I did nothing, the Word did it all."

(When it was suggested that he become a doctor of theology): "You will deprive me of my life!"

"There is nothing God rejects as strongly as half-goodness, and every human claim based on it."

"In this way, I say, and no other, does one learn how to deal properly with the question of predestination. It will be manifest that you believe in Christ. If you believe, then you are called. And if you are called, then you are most certainly predestined. Do not let this mirror and throne of grace be torn away from before you eyes...contemplate Christ given for us. Then God willing, you will feel better."

"When I was twenty years old I had not yet seen a Bible."

"How difficult it was for [Gideon] to fight the enemy at those odds. If I had been there, I'd have befouled my breeches for fright."

(Luther's Name for the Roman Catholic Papacy): "whore-church of the devil"

"If the pope had control over the souls in purgatory, why doesn't he open the gate and let them all out?"

"Dear Kate, we arrived in Halle today at eight, but did not continue on to Eisleben because a big Anabaptist met us with waves and hunks of ice. She flooded the land and threatened to rebaptize us..." (speaking of the Saale River)

“I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away. When he tempts me with silly sins I say, “Devil, yesterday I broke wind too. Have you written it down on your list?” …I remind myself of the forgiveness of sin and of Christ and I remind Satan of the abomination of the pope. This abomination is so great that I am of good cheer and rejoice, and I confess that the abomination of the papacy after the time of Christ is a great consolation in me.”

Final fun fact: Zwingli loved the Alps and thought they pointed to God's grandeur, Luther regarded them as huge warts on the face of the earth.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yeah, he said some funny things... weird because my impression of him is not as a cheerful, humorous and jovial kind of person.

Here's some more information about other 'funny' things he said:
    In 1543 Luther published On the Jews and Their Lies in which he says that the Jews are a "base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth." They are full of the "devil's feces ... which they wallow in like swine." The synagogue was a "defiled bride, yes, an incorrigible whore and an evil slut ..." He argues that their synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes razed, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness, afforded no legal protection, and these "poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time. He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[w]e are at fault in not slaying them".

And there's more...

Really, some of these people behaved so terribly and yet today many commit theological idolatry in their adoration and fealty to the sanitized idea of the person and their teachings.