1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

While LRS is not in the same league as say Southern seminary, I think it is a worthwhile school and many on BB think so.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am going to take issue with that. Before I do let me say that I am not a student or alumni of Luther Rice. I earned my BA from UNC, I have done some graduate work at Southeastern Seminary, and finished my MA at Liberty Seminary. So, I have no dog in this fight (so to speak). However I would strongly disagree with the idea that Luther Rice is not a "worthwhile seminary". It may not be a research seminary like Trinity Evangelical, Southern, or other such schools, but it does a great job training pastors, missionaries, and lay people. The education it provides students is what one should expect from a seminary. Its distance education program provides a great way for pastors (etc) to further their education while remaining in their current ministry. That is what many pastors want and need. One such pastor is Dr. Charles Stanley who earned a Master and Doctor degree from Luther Rice.

3. Siberian

Siberian New Member

I have an admitted bias (I have done some graduate work at LRU), but I'll still take issue with this statement, which I consider an overstatement. Defining "worthwhile" is a subjective undertaking, and in the end, what is worthwhile might be in the eyes of the beholder. As far as distance education goes, LRU is a viable option, and the education they provide, in my experience, is not bad. As for acceptability: well, I've been pleasantly surprised.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

As an LRS alum, I am struck by the fact that notable graduates of Luther Rice usually referred to did their work before the school was accreditated by TRACS.

I do think it is a worthwhile school, and, no, it's not in SBTS's league (an alum there, too).

Bill

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

One might consider three factors, here.

First, Luther Rice Seminary was primarily designed for those actively involved in a current ministry, uisually pastors, but also those in 'staff', and education type positions, who wanted some 'further education', usually considered beneficial to the pastorate, or other ministry, such as something akin to a (then) B.D. or a B.R.E. or something similar, who could not, viably, (or were not willing to) give up this, in order to attend an "on-campus" type institution. Nevertheless, there was a 'need', if not a 'demand' for something such as this, and the founders saw this.

I believe, if I recall correctly, after almost 40 years, that one could not even earn any degree from 'classroom study' alone, on campus, unless one was actively involved in a ministry at that time. (I have no idea what the specific requirements are or may be today.)

I have the highest regard for the vision and ministry of the late Dr. Robert G. Witty, the genesis of the idea for a "distance type" education, and the genius behind the establishment of Luther Rice Seminary. (BTW, Dr. Witty went home to be with the Lord, only earlier this year at the age of 101.)

Hence, Luther Rice was the prototype in and for "distance education" for a Christian institution. Some are correct that Luther Rice does not offer the same exact degrees, today, that it offered in the early days of the institution. I have a longtime personal friend, who earned a B.D. from LR, a degree that is not offered today.

The second factor is, as some have noted correctly, that LR is not designed to be a "research" institution. So what? One can attend a "research institution" and not pursue a "research oriented" degree, such as an M.Div. or M.A.R., for examples, intending to get involved in the pastorate, or some other 'Christian avocation'. The two are not 'mutually exclusive'.

The third factor one might consider is that LR was and is a leader in 'distance education'. Were there never a 'LR', many would not be able to have any 'continuing education' desires effectively fulfilled, even today. So I, myself, say, "Praise God for LRS!"

We will never fully know the influence and effect of LRS this side of the Judgment Seat. But I have little doubt, that overall, it will be a "Well done, good and faithful servant!" effect.

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board! I'm cold enough in Central KY, in the USA. I cannot even begin to imagine what the winter weather might be like, where you are located.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    And, personally, I have absolutely no intention of ever finding out what it feels like, there. :laugh: :laugh:

Ed