1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MA, Phd, etc.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Brice, Jun 13, 2008.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, if you desire to pursue a PhD for a career in academia, you would go immediately to the PhD program (or a ThM, if necessary), assuming it is feasible for your individual circumstances. I have a college friend of mine who just finished his MDiv and who is immediately entering the PhD program at New Orleans Seminary. He has never been in full-time ministry, though he has served in part-time ministry positions.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This depends on the institution and the particular program. For example, if you want to pursue a PhD in New Testament, you would be sure to take Greek and Hebrew, loading up your degree plan with NT Greek exegesis and textual criticism courses and NT backgrounds. If you have the opportunity to take Theological French or German, then it would be wise to take advantage of it. You generally have to achieve reading competency in two foreign languages in a PhD program. If you apply with them already under your belt, it makes the first year easier for you, and it may make you more competitive on your PhD application. If you are interested in Church History, then Latin and French would be the languages you need.

Not all MDivs are created equal, but nearly all of them provide you with the opportunity to take the courses you need.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan Addendum

To all who have an ear:

As a side bar note: In most larger seminaries, they have MAs that are somewhat specialized. In the MDiv programs you can build a specialty in the MDiv out of the same basic curriculum as the MAs. You can actually have an "MA specialty" built into the MDiv degree by aligning your electives, intensives, directed readings, and directed studies and actually come up with 30-36 hours that would/would be equal to having the MA from a university. You will not have the extra credential of the MA, but could have the education when you finish. This is what I did. And to be sure, having an additional master's degree is not a bad thing.

As a last word ( I hope and probably so do you?:laugh: ), I would try to decide what I wanted to do as best that it could be understood at the present time. Then, I would go after that "with all my might!" I would assume a similar posture as one who wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or any other professional in the secular sense. Do what is in your heart. Do it with all your being. And trust the Lord to direct your paths.

"That is all!"

4. Brice

Brice New Member

Thanks for the help friends.

5. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

One quick thought...

As a Pastor who has been in ministry most of the time I have been earning degrees, (undergrad and grad with Liberty through DLP and now post grad with a smaller institution through mentoring / distance learning), I have had a great deal of respect for instructors such as Elmer Towns, Ergun Caner, Dan Mitchel, Gary Yates, and a host of others who had significant time in "practical ministry" settings in the local church. Some of their instruction was in practical affairs and some was more academic, but I think the ministry time added to it all.

On the other hand, I had a professor by distance learning in New Testament when I was working on the M.A.R. who said that he had very little time in the pulpit but was well credentialed with a Ph.D. that I believe was from Wheaton and his teaching on the New Testament was phenomenal. He had lectured some New Testament courses for Liberty's Distance Learning Program through he was an Old Testament and Hebrew Language scholar and the insights he brought to the course have shaped my understand of things like the Sermon on the Mount and the Messianic Kingship of Christ, to just name a couple.

I find it interesting the paths that God takes those through who He uses to train future leaders in the Pastorate. I wish you well in whatever road you choose to follow.