1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured MacArthur Study Bible….Are study Bibles a good idea?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 30, 2015.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is not the same thing true of Bible translations? Bible translators usually present their view or renderings as being the correct or right ones when there may be other ways to translate that are just as accurate and sometimes may be even more accurate.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you also for correcting the error in my quote. :wavey:

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: Good point......Yes, I believe that the same is true. Interpretation is a necessary part of translation, but perhaps not as extensive as many commentators. I think that we always need to take care with translations, and realize they are exactly that - translations.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the above.

I think Bible commentaries should be in separate volumes --not placed on the same page as the biblical text.

A one page introduction to the books of the Bible may be okay. Explanatory footnotes are necessary and helpful.

As most know, I am a big fan of the NIV. A completely new NIV study Bible is coming out with commentary by biblical scholars I admire. But I wish I could buy their commentary without the text of the Bible on the same pages. Let's keep things distinct.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree.Bible translators are usually team efforts. Different members may differ with one another as to a more ideal way to render a particular text. But by consensus one reading has to be put in the text. Most of us would agree that a good translation should not be designed along the lines of The Amplified.

No translators that I am aware of think that only their translations are the end-all. They even give alternate renderings in the footnotes of a number of passages. They recognize that there are other ways to express the text that are just as accurate and perhaps superior. There is humility.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point of the post was to demonstrate that Study Notes differ depending of the source. Some are biased toward a particular point of view, i.e. dispensationalism or Calvinism, but others actually are efforts to edify the body of Christ, such as Zondervan and Ryrie.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most, if not all, study notes are biased to a degree. Even those efforts to "edify the body of Christ," to include dispensationalism or Calvinism. One should not take a Calvinistic OR an anti-Calvinistic stand, for example, based on the interpretations or opinions of another. One should stand on Scripture.

My point is that the study notes portion of study Bibles are not Scripture. They typically present the view point of an author as the correct view (understandably). I have no problem with the commentary. I do have an issue with the commentary being in the Bible.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had a problem with the MacArthur note, supporting just one view, but seemed not to see that two other study bible's presented several alternate views, i.e. actual study notes rather than indoctrination. Any study bible that is not biased in favor of Calvinism could be claimed to be "anti-Calvinistic. Thus you could claim Ryrie and Zondervan were "anti-Calvinistic." However the truth seems to be they are less biased and more objective.

Not sure if they do not present the range of views in the literature, rather than only one view, more often than not. In the one example we looked at, that was certainly the case.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad you think so highly of Zondervan. It is the major publisher of the NIV.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Sorry Van, I wasn't clear. What I mean is that I find those mini commentaries in study bibles insufficient and misplaced, not anti-Calvinistic. I meant that even "correct" interpretive notes bother me when published on Scripture.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic post from Mr. Rippon.

Returning to topic:

Here are the footnotes from the NET for John 3:5:
    Note the NET presents just one view, water and spirit/wind both figures for the Holy Spirit, but does provide some references for further study.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, my friend, I think we disagree. I believe well done study bibles, like Zondervan and Ryrie kick-start study of scripture, just as the abbreviated concordance does. But I suspect we agree, the study notes should not be used as a single source of commentary, but more as a trigger for further study from diverse sources.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just informing you of a fact you were unaware of. You had commended Zondervan, yet you have made a practice of demeaning the NIV for a long time on the BB (until the admin. here put a stop to your nonsense.) The primary publisher of the NIV is Zondervan. O the irony!

#33 Rippon, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr Rippon again claims he is a mind reader, knowing what I supposedly did not know. Pay no attention to these off topic posts. Using well done study notes is very helpful.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it simply delicious that you had regularly trashed the NIV but without knowing --commended the major publisher of the NIV. I'm relishing the irony.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I both agree and disagree with your first statement. I agree that for many, probably both you and I, the study notes may kick start a study of Scripture. My concern is those who would take these notes as definitive and equal to Scripture. I have experienced this occur (e.g., my comment about "my Bible says..").

I grant that this may not be the purpose of these study notes, but I have not really seen a stark disclaimer printed in these Bibles cautioning readers to take the commentary with a grain of salt. I think that this is important because we live in a world where people have to be told not to eat the silica packet, not to miss with the line voltage wires, not to point the laser in one's eye.....etc. Sure they should have been taught not to eat the silica packet at home, and sure Christians should have been taught the difference between interpretation/translation and inspired Scripture....but the problem is often they have not.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Delicious!?! " simply delicious????? OHHHH Kkkkkkkk:confused:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who pays any attention to how Mr. Rippon characterizes the posts of others is naive.

Here are a few words from Zondervan, "But why a study bible when the text itself is clearly written? Surely there is no substitute for the reading of the text itself, nothing people write about God's word can be on the level with the word itself. Further, it is the Holy Spirit alone - not fallible human beings - who can open the human mind to the divine message.
    However the Holy Spirit uses other people to explain God's word to others."

20. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I own an NASB MacArthur Study bible, correction, my wife's is a new King James. We both believe they are the best in the world. :)