1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Made in His image

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TaterTot, Jan 22, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How do you know this? They are part of His creation, no?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On what day did God create them?

3. Servent

Servent Member

In Genesis 18:3 who was the person Abraham refered to as Lord.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying they are omnipresent along with God? The days in Genesis were in regards to our world...not the angelic creation.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Think about it...God is Spirit, the Holy Spirit is obviously spirit...the only One it could be was Christ.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello TaterTot,
    there is no need to guess about this. He scripture tells us what it means.

Here is the text;
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I am afraid that the word "image" causes many to go astray here and think of physical characteristics. Others just make it too complicated when it is very simple. There is a word that gives us the answer. The Lord God gave men "dominion". God is sovereign and He made man in His image granting Him the same ability to rule and subdue the earth which God had given man. We lost that at the fall and now it is being taken back through Jesus Christ the God man who will one day have that dominion (absolute rule) that we should have had over the creation.

#46 freeatlast, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. Therefore, the laws of physics of this world do not apply to those in the other.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you supply scriptural proof for this? How do you know? The "other world" will be where we are standing someday, btw, a real world with gravity, trees, rivers, cities.

The angels did interact with our world, therefore to an extent the law of physics did apply to them. It applied to Christ while He was here, too.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as Scripture concerning the nature of angels, I've already supplied it. It is you that is bringing his own reasoning and limited knowledge into the debate. If you want to think that angels have physical bodies and that they are subject to gravity and the theories of general and specific relativity, you go right ahead, but you do so out from under the auspices of the Spriptures.

And with that, I leave you to your vain speculations concerning angels.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You never supplied Scripture concerning the physiology of angels. Fact is they appear as men...eat...walk...talk. That is physical. You can deny that all you like, but it is right there in black and white. I think the "vain speculations" are being done by you.

11. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Hi all,
    It is clear that God created man in His own image:
    But are WE created in His image today?

Consider this:
    Man was created in God's image, before the fall of man. After the fall, the blood line went from Adam to Noah through Seth. The Bible teaches that:
    Gen 5:3And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

Ofcourse all man came from Noah after the flood. So, we are created in Adam's fallen image.
    I have heard many people say that "We are all created in God's image". I have always viewed this as being an error.
    What do you all think?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree. I have said this before on the BB, but most didn't agree with me. :)
    I have also heard it put this way; Adam was created in God's image and we are procreated in Adams image.

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outsider,

It is certainly a pleasure to talk with you this (early!) morning. The weather in the Derby City has been particularly bad tonight and my wife, daughter, and 3 cats were huddled in the basement for about an hour--to avoid the tornado. The Lord has blessed and we are fine, we even have our power back.

As far as your idea that the image was lost, I do not think we can say that. Here's why: When the flood had subsided and God passed the commands and promises of the covenant of creation on to Noah, one of the things included was a prohibition of killing fellow men and women. The death penalty was applied to those who killed their fellow humans and the reason was that man is still considered to be in God's image.

Being in God's image is primarily functional. Yes, there is an intrinsic side (where we, before the fall, mirrored God's character) and that was, I believe, hopelessly shattered in the fall. However, the functional aspect is still applicable.

I wrote a blog post on this...you can find it here .

Many Blessings,

The Archangel

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, Archangel.

Yes, we are fallen, but just as the glories of ancient Rome or Greece can be discerned from studying their ruins, so can the glories of God from the ruins of His Creation.

As far as the image of God is concerned, it's my opinion that marriage is the actuality of it in this life. Two distinct persons standing in a covenant relationship ratified by an oath are joined by the Spirit to become one flesh. Two persons, one flesh.

In the Godhead, there are three persons, one God.