1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maine's Governor Openly Calls for Race War Against People of Color

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He's hoping for a spot in a Trump administration.

2. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Maine resident, I find the some of the governor's recent comments and actions to be inexcusable. However, the above post makes a leap of (il)logic that I don't believe is justified. LePage's "declaration of war" is against out-of-state people bringing illicit drugs to sell in Maine. He also falsely stated that nearly all such drug-importers/sellers people are Black or Hispanic. (The evidence clearly refutes this contention.)

For the OP's title to be correct, LePage would have to have declared war on ALL people of color, including Mainers whose in-state roots go back generations. His statements on the subject were ill-advised (an understatement), but exaggerating their scope merely offers his apologists room to discredit his critics.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's not my headline. And he's the one who called people of color "the enemy". His comments again affirm the pervasive attitudes of a lot of white people in this country when it comes to Blacks.

And then he turns around and says:

Soon after leaving the profanity-laced message, LePage leaked the story of the voicemail to two reporters, telling them he wished it was 1826 so he could challenge Gattine to a formal duel.

"I would point it right between his eyes, because he is a snot-nosed little runt and he has not done a damn thing since he's been in the Legislature to help move the state forward," LePage told the Press Herald.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/paul-lepage-drew-gattine-voicemail-threat

4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the thread heading taken from a media article? I had no way of knowing who created it, and did not assign it to anyone. And LePage's "enemy" is specifically the drug dealers. That he then made the bogus 90%+ claim makes it look blatantly racist, when I suspect it was more ignorantly racist. Not sure which is worse.

That voicemail tirade is not his first one made in lost-temper mode, and while I don't think he has any intention of causing physical harm to the legislator, I also know that if I ever sent a similar message his way, I would soon be having long discussions with LEOs (and probably prison guards.)

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

OaS, I think the link is in the first post.

Yeah I think it was MLK Jr who made the comment about conscientious stupidity or sincere ignorance.:Biggrin

So he's done this before? YIKES! He seems a lot like Trump. That's too much of a loose cannon to be somebody's governor.