1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maintaining or starting exercise in middle age tied to longer life

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Jul 17, 2019.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why you continue to post non news related threads about stuff like aardvrks & overheated turtles in the news section. Is this a mind game?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a lot more to news and to life than politics.

4. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is important for all of us. I had been active in my youth, cycling & playing tennis & chess(!) Getting married & raising a family & running a car stopped sporting activies & though I was generally active, when I was approaching 50 I realised I was getting middle-aged, putting on weight & waist, & even getting puffed when running for a bus.

I decided the time had come to start systematic exercise, doing something I could enjoy & sustain, namely tennis. Soon my health & fitness improved, though at first running to the net was tiring. Soon I was playing for a team. Ten years on I developed type 2 diabetes, & was given a high complex carbohydrate diet, low fat, sugar & salt.

The neuropathy I was diagnosed diabetic with continued to worsen, & after 8 years (age 68) became crippling, & almost constant pain. I sought internet advice from a patient forum. The recommendation was to reverse the official diet, cut all the carbs & increase natural fatty foods - cheese, cream, meat, nuts, while maintaining neuttral foods like vegetables. In 3 months I was out of pain & back on the tennis court.

I have maintained that diet, & now follow the "keto" lifestyle. At 80, I still play tennis at club standard & have no health problems. I'm fitter than I was 30 years ago.

• Like Like x 2