1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Major Change of Ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Dec 1970 I have been a pastor (mostly full time, some missionary work) or college prof.

Now, with health challenges greatly curtailing my ministry, I am fussing and fighting about the "next step". I have to be careful about every decision I make (to speak, travel, etc).

Lots of big changes ahead. But the bride shared Oswald Chambers words, "Don’t mourn for what you once were if God has called you to be something you’ve never been."

Looking ahead and ultimately, looking UP!

Any other preachers/pastors facing some big challenges these days?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well, as you know Dr Bob, I'm on the other end of the situation...just starting out in the ministry, and have already seen several challenges...

1) Preaching not just every once in awhile for specials or supply, but every Sunday - twice, Bible studies and visitation on Thursday, Wednesday night prayer meeting.

2) Business meetings were easy when I was just a member, but now...

3) Rounding up those "lost sheep" who have been absent during the time my church was without a pastor

4) Funerals - I hadn't counted on how much a toll they would take personally, because I experience the loss as I grow to love my congregation.

Dr Bob, any revelations as to what the upcoming challenge for your life might be?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Such timely words for me as well. Thanks!

I am faced with the same thing. We are in the best financial situation we have been in ever. It has all happened in the last three years. We went where we believed the Lord wanted us to go and our home has increased about 60 percent. We could take the money and pay cash for a home most anywhere else.

I am considering Ph.D. work in the major that my B.A and graduate studies was in and teaching at the university or college in an effort to reach students. Recently I talked wity tow people who are my age and work with students. Both of them told me that older people are needed becasue so many college students have grown up in homes where the parents have had little time due to just making a living.

For years some of my professsors have encouraged me to do this. But I am getting older and it is harder to do the physical labor I once did.

My own personal opinion is that there will be less and less need for the traditional church and pastor but men and women who can reach others where they live and work. My own experience is that I can find ten to twenty young people in just a few months to disciple but will spend an entire year in a church to get a few who usually are not willing to pay much of a price to grow.

Anyway for what its worth.