1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Major recall of H1N1 Flu Vaccine in Canada

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by targus, Nov 24, 2009.

1. targus

targus New Member

"GlaxoSmithKline has advised medical staff in Canada to not use on batch of the H1N1 Flu Vaccine for fear it may trigger life threatening allergies.

A company official says the affected batch contains 172,000 doses of the vaccine.

The recall came after six reports of serious allergic reactions among recipients, but there have not been similar reports from other countries."

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=11565522

I just thought that this would be of interest to some here on the board.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting indeed. I wonder if those affected are allergic to eggs as I am, or if they are reacting to another substance in the vaccine. It would be informative to find that out.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks my daughter just got the H1N1 vaccine in Canada. Other than being a little sleepier for a couple of days, she appeared to respond fine to it. We'll see if she got that batch.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I looked into this a bit, and found out it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. There were six cases of allergic reaction. All six received a vaccine from this batch. So GlaxoSmithKline decided to recall the entire batch. This happens on occaision with regular vaccines, including the seasonal flu vaccines, but it's newsworthy in this case only because it's the H1N1a vaccine.

5. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

The allergen is not the virus in the vaccine.... it is either the preservative or the adjuvant OR it has to do with the contaminants which they cannot completely filter out of the medium used to grow the virus.

Imagine the possibility of having a life long allergy to eggs produced by an annual vaccine for the flu. Other animal or fetal tissue can be used and may be used.... there is no requirement for the vaccine manufacture to disclose what makes up the growth medium and what contaminants may be injected in the vaccine. Those contaminants may be animal and /or may even include other pathogens or abnormal cells in the animal tissue... which are not revealed nor tested as to potential to produce diseases (perhaps crossing the species barrier) or allergies in the receipiient. To take the flu vaccine each year to avoid the flu is exposing the recepient to unknown and possibly delayed consequences.

Every flu season is a new vaccine. It is not like taking vaccinations for prevention of childhood diseases.... where one gets one or a series..... and are generally done.

Whatever is not of faith is sin. I don't have faith in the flu vaccine and therefore it would be sin for me. As long as you trust the vaccine more than the immune system God gave you and his provisions to protect you.... by all means take 'em.

Without the vaccine, it is doubtful I'd catch the flu every year.....had it once in my 61 years of life ... a minor inconvience and discomfort. For 20 + years took the vaccine as it was required in my work.... and I hadn't read nor heard the controversy regarding the vaccines: since I have heard and have read.... and coupled with what I think I know..... I don't agree with the necessity of an annual vaccine and would rather trust God.

Anyway, if I should catch the H1N1 and die (to live is Christ to die is gain) it would not prove that the vaccine can't harm or kill..... only that the flu can.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's a bit of a stretch to apply "whatever is not of faith is sin" out of context to the use of vaccines, antibiotics, etc. I'm a business traveller, so I get a flu shot every year (which, this year, included getting the H1N1a vaccine). I do so out of courtesy for those with whom I come into contact during my travelling. My getting vaccinated is not a reflection or indication of my personal faith whatsoever. It would be holier-than-though if someone made a faith judgement on another based on whether or not the get flu vaccines.

7. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I'm not questioning your faith or lack thereof.....

I'm presenting this as a fact for myself...... that since I don't trust the vaccine and since I do trust God...... this is the choice for me in this instance.... and the verse is in the context of application for me, as I don't trust the vaccine and injection of animal tissue into my body is abhorrent to me and against the laws of natural occurrence in nature.

However you view the verse or my position is of no significance to me. Clearly i don't want nor do i have any power over your vessel. I can only be responsible for the subjection of my own. While I'm willing to share my own thought processes with the BB regarding my various reasonings... you have no obligation to conform and agree. You are responsible for yourself.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Can I get that in writing? Oh, wait, I think I just did. Good thoughts, windcatcher. I appreciate the "this is simply what works for me" approach in your post. Alas, this board is abundant in "my way or the highway" Christians, who wouldn't know concepts like discernment, application, or religious liberty if those concepts bit 'em in the backside.