1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Man Fired for Refusing to Wear 666 Sticker

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JTornado1, Nov 18, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Pretty good summation!

2. targus

targus New Member

What gives you the idea that I think that some regulation or restriction is needed here?

Yes, employers can require what they wish and employees can decide if they want to work there or not.

But in the end it is still a person to person relationship. IMO the employer is behaving badly and should be called on it. Since this guy probably can't take it to the church he should look for some other means of convincing his employer to relent and let him keep his job.

Perhaps his wife could go to his employers wife to plead their case. There is nothing like the shame of a good woman to make a man do the right thing. :laugh:

3. mandym

mandym New Member

It is an overreaction by the employee. Quite silly

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have to wear a county badge every day or I will be reprimanded. Not quite the same thing, but close. someone thought 666 was cute or maybe it was one day past the last record 665. They might have to wear another one on 777 or 888 or 1000.

My biggest concern for the guy is why he thought 666 was a sentence to hell.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The situation is that the employee thinks it is a bad thing.

If you asked him where in the Bible it says we should not be associated with 666 - Dollars to donuts, he probably could not tell you! Therefore it was probably some preacher who is hyper on that subject. Another case of a church member blindly following his pastor.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I guess I read too much into your statement of "If this man felt that it was a violation of his religious beliefs to wear 666 then the employer had an obligation to make a reasonable accomodation." I thought you were advocating that an employer has an "obligation" as stipulated by the government. If not, then sorry for the assumption on my part.

For the record, I don't think an employer has an obligation one way or another. If I run a business (and I do), and an employee doesn't want to follow my rules and cites religious reasons, well that's the employees problem...not mine.

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

By law, employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for the religious views of their employees. A reasonable accommodation is one which does not impose an undue hardship for the employer.

While I think the employee's refusal to wear the 666 sticker is silly, the employee not wearing it does not result in an undue hardship for the employer. Therefore, the employer should have allowed the employee to not wear it. The employee was wrongfully terminated and has grounds to pursue legal action against the employer.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's a bad law.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

At will states (actually all states) can terminate you for insubordination.

10. targus

targus New Member

That one has the right to do something does not necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which is perfect advice for the employee in this instance.

12. FR7 Baptist

And employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for the religious views of employees, even in right-to-fire states.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I wonder what type of employer would fire an employee over such a trivial matter. I would imagine there is more to this than is being reported.

14. bacustic

bacustic New Member

If Georgia is a "Right to Work" state then the employer can fire the employee with or without cause. You anti-union folks should be eating this up. It's a great day to be a Republican!

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the perfect example why unions should be a thing of the past. With a union this clown would still be employed and his blatant disregard and insubordination would be encouraged and rewarded. Who knows, when it's time for collective bargaining maybe the union would use this instance to eliminate employers telling you what you are allowed to wear at all. Unions are corruption.

#35 webdog, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What accomodation? The employer asked the employee to wear a sticker relating to and celebrating job safety, nothing to do with religion or a person's religious views whatsoever. Employers are not required to go over and beyond to meet kooky "needs". If this employee wanted to take his lunch and tack it to the employee bulletin board because it had the image of Jesus, would that also be considered an accomodation? Same ridiculous principal

#36 webdog, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with that as probable. But there is a bit of trouble I see with this "at will" employment. If they wanted an excuse to fire him, maybe that was it, just to look better. Although some on this thread seem to think any person can be fired for any reason whatsoever-- making constitutional and civil rights meaningless, as one can be fired for religion, race, left-handedness, hair color, nose shape... No matter how silly I think it was that that Indian in south Texas wouldn't cut his hair for his state trooper job, the courts still backed up his right.

18. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

People keep using the term "religious views", but this is not the accepted term. Employers have to make reasonable accomadations for "religious convictions". Religious convictions have been defined by the courts as a religious belief that you would die for. It must also be an accepted religious conviction by not only yourself, but the mainstream of whatever religion you associate yourself with.

Employers do not have to make concessions for religious preference, which is defined by the courts as a religious belief that you hold to, but would not die for; also a religous belief that you personally hold to, but the mainstream of your religion does not.

I don't know what religion this person was, but I am pretty sure that his religion does not teach that wearing that number in any capacity will send a person to hell. Therefor, the employer had every right to fire him for not wearing it. Should the employer have fired him? Probably not. But should the employee have raised a fuss in the first place? No.

I agree that any insubordination has negative consequences if left unchecked. The biggest thing here would probably have been others refusing to wear their badges on principle. Not a huge deal, but still a negative consequence.

19. FR7 Baptist

That is simply not true. It does not have anything to do with whether the employee would die for that belief of if the employee's view is accepted by the mainstream of his religion.

20. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Ok, so next time someone doesn't feel like doing something at work, all they have to do is say something like, "I feel it would be a violation of my religious rights" and make something up.