1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Man head of house?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Oct 13, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, the man ought to be head of the house

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. No, the woman should have as much authority as he has

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

ABC,

Take note, this is a picture taken this morning of my wife serving me breakfast in bed. Notice I did her a favor by letting her get further than 100 feet from the kitchen sink.
    [​IMG]

LOL, just kidding. I have been married 37 years and know better. That last statement of yours says it all.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright....you need not throw rocks!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny:laugh::thumbsup:

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

But throwing a sponge would not get his attention. :)

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, which post was that?

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    nestles 23rd edition puts it as the start of the paragraph, English translations shift it

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the man is supposed to be the head of the house, but I'll ask my wife when she gets back just to make sure.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yeah, and I have the little wife bear foot and pregnant in the kitchen. You sir are an " ."

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Man has been the head of the household since Eve gave him the fruit and he ate.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post 21 is an example. Aaron's comment about letting women "call the shots" is another. Why are they so concerned with who's the "boss?" When a man truly loves the way Christ loved the church, he won't need to worry about who "calls the shots." There's no need to emphasize submission from the wife. A man who truly loves like Christ will have the respect of his wife without demanding it.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    SN, where'd you get that poster? I need a full-size one to use for target practice.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You don't get to cherry pick the facets of Christ's relationship to the church that you are going to use to illustrate how we should "serve" our wives.

He did not ASK the church whether or not he should go to the cross.

Those allowed to be part of the church get in it by confessing Christ as Lord- and that is something they do for the rest of their lives daily calling their Husband Lord.

Sarah did this too. Does your wife?

I'm not even saying that wives should have to call their husbands Lord. I don't demand that of my wife, but I am pointing out to you that you are cherry picking and applying biblical anecdotes arbitrarily and to suit you.

I want you to care more about what the Bible ACTUALLY teaches than being thought of as "in touch" or in clamoring for affirmation or whatever it is you are trying to do in the above post.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's silly for you to quote calling the shots as if I was the one who introduced that phrase and as if you were NOT the one to initially use it.

You abused the anecdote I used to suit some "Hey look at me, vote for me, affirm me, join with me" fancy of yours. And you know you abused the anecdote to suit you.

And let me say this, I don't think people fall for that quite as much as you think they do.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And you have thus made the woman's biblical duty the man's and the man's biblical duty the woman's.

There is what the BIBLE says, and then there is what Skandelon is saying here.

In case someone does not see that clearly I'll explain a bit further.

There is this politically correct way for Christians to talk about male and female roles. What they do is EXACTLY what Skandelon does here. They know this age is RABIDLY against male authority or strength in every way. So to make themselves more palatable to today's culture and to women in the church who do not like to take the moniker of "weaker vessel" and do not like to yield to male leadership whatsoever, they SPIN the terms.

And when they get DONE spinning them they have turned them LITERALLY 180 degrees. They spin the terms until "submit" means to expect to get your way and "rule" means to completely abdicate the rule your role bears.

And they do this in a sneeky, tricky, politically savvy kind of way. They take a REAL BIBLICAL TRUTH like "the greatest among you shall be your servant" and they run with it. But they run WAY past what it ACTUALLY means.

The great servitude that Christ calls for... listen to this... has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ABDICATING YOUR AUTHORITY. It means that while you have every ounce of authority that you are supposed to have, you still have the kind of humility and selfless care for those under your authority that means you are willing to wash their feet and lay down your life for them.

Jesus was far MORE RULER over his disciples to whom he said that than any husband will ever be over his wife. He did not consult with them about which town they should go to next or about any other such thing. He told them what to do and he expected them to do it. BUT WHILE HAVING FULL AUTHORITY HE LOVED THEM. He cared about their pains and sorrows. And he, being their very LORD AND MASTER died for them.

But Skandelon, who always sounds to me like he is running for Baptistboard office on here and always sounds like he is saying the things that will GET people to agree with him, has totally twisted what "servitude" means in the Bible.

#54 Luke2427, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Yates, Council Member of The Gospel Coalition:

http://www.tfcanglican.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=181318&programId=113346

Ephesians 5:21-33

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

17. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This one wins 'the best post of the thread' award! :laugh:

18. Skandelon

Christ wanted to be a friend not a master, according to his words in John 15:15. True love drives out fear and obligation in a relationship which is true not only in our relationship with God, but should be true in our relationships with each other.

So, I'm not cherry picking anything, nor am I 'clamoring for affirmation.' I'm telling you what I believe the bible teaches and what I've learned from experience in my own marriage. I was a lot like you appear to be Luke, believe it or not, but God broke me of that way of thinking. You may not be at a place you are ready to hear that, but I feel like it should be said anyway.

19. Skandelon

Ad Hominem: Turn the attention to the person rather than the topic. This is typically a tactic used when one feels they are losing regarding the subject matter at hand.

Luke, I couldn't care one small iota about what others think of me on this forum regarding my view of marriage and male leadership. I care what God thinks and my wife thinks and I'm simply sharing from my heart what I had to learn the hard way.

If you are married to a woman who loves Jesus you will not have to tell her to submit. You simply have to lead by example by submitting yourself to her, loving her, serving her and leading like Christ lead....as a friend, not a ruler. With a hand of love, not pulling out 'I'm the head of this house and have authority over you' card. It's TYPICALLY not needed if you are both in submission to Christ and the man is leading by example.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And you cherry pick what you want to respond to as well. There was a whole lot in that post that you did not respond to which I think already addresses sufficiently your post here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.