1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Man kills his son - doctor recommends suicide

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by El_Guero, Aug 18, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/18/greece.plunge/index.html

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I wonder if the Dr. was trying to say that they expect him to attempt suicide again.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The word 'should' implies a moral obligation I would think - but something may have been lost in translation.

4. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Under what circumstances would you think that?

"Should" does not imply moral obligation. I can look at a cloudy sky right now and say, "it should rain today."

This is a strange quote in the article, but I don't think it necessarily implies that a doctor is reccomending suicide

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Uh . . . I have no idea what you were trying to communicate.

Will and shall are used differently here in the US than they are used abroad - I do know that and took that into consideration.

Should being past tense of the verb shall implies 'he should have done that', and a completed action of a suicide attempt is - suicide. I am in the USA that we use the past tense of shall for present tense . . . much more often than we should use 'should'.

I covered the most likely issue of mistranslation. However, given the circumstances and what the entire article said - I agree with the doctor. He will commit suicide, he should have already committed suicide, he shall commit suicide when he gets the opportunity - these all carry the weight of his responsibility and expected remorse for his actions.

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Thanks for clearing it up for those of us in Missouri that might not know how it is in the USA. :thumbs:

I still do not see where the doctor is reccomending suicide.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Glad I was able to show you what you needed to hear . . .