1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

man's free will

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Brutus, Jun 28, 2002.

1. John W Mergel

John W Mergel New Member

John 1:12-13 States:
    "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born NOT of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, BUT OF GOD."

CRYSTAL CLEAR
    How bout Romans 9:16; Romans 8:7-8.

You are either a slave to sin or a slave to righteousness (Romans 6), there is no other option given in scripture.

Next topic please.

Enabled by the Father(John 6:44)
    John W Mergel

2. John W Mergel

John W Mergel New Member

To JohnV,

I keep hearing this same old "that would make us puppet's" cry. The goal of my Christian life is to be God's puppet, because this would mean that I would be 100% obedient in all I do. But the real kicker in that would be that I could only attain this by the power that God has supplied to me by the Holy Spirit through the Death of His Son, Jesus Christ(1 Cor 15:10;2 Cor 3:4-6). It's all about God(Col 1:15-18). Just as Christ stated
    "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of Him who sent Me."(John 6:39). And I think the Bible is clear in stating that Jesus lived a perfectly obedient life for the Father. Every move Jesus made was according to the Father's will. Since we are commanded to walk like Jesus(1 John 2:6), then please pray for me to be a puppet just like Jesus. This would be my heart's desire, but as for all you people who would like to maintain your little bit of independance, go for it. Me I will strive to be the Father's puppet, doing everything He would have me to do according to His Sovereign will.

Enabled by the Father(John 6:44), John W Mergel [​IMG]

[ July 09, 2002, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: John W Mergel ]

3. VoiceInTheWilderness

[ July 11, 2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: A voice crying in the wilderness ]

4. VoiceInTheWilderness

JohnV

The issue of man's free agency is without question, we all have the ability to choose, otherwise how do you reconcile sin.

However, our choices are a product of our will, and our will is a product of our nature.

The one CHOICE that a man who is spiritually dead can never make is to be made spiritually alive. The ability to create life is one that belongs only to God.

And no man came come unto Jesus except the father draw Him. John 6:44.

So we must conclude that since faith & repentance are a gift of God, and God has to first draw us to Jesus, then wihout God's direct enabling - no one will choose Christ.

The light that every man has been given, is the light of conscience. Just because everyone knows right from wrong does not mean that everyone has been given spiritual life by God. ;)

[ July 11, 2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: A voice crying in the wilderness ]

5. TomMann

TomMann New Member

I very much believe in free will. That is what Adam exercised in the garden when he took of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.. I that is what the prodigal son exercised when he took his inheritance and went away to riotous living. That is what we exercise when we go against (refuse)the Word of God. It is not, I repeat, it is not by free will that we return. Free will is our departure from God. His loving intervention effects our return!!!!!

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Tom Mann,

You believe in Biblical theology and I concur with you.

Even the good angel in Heaven fell from grace because he had a will. God has said, 'When iniquity was found in thee . . . .

Ray Berrian, Th.D.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is exactly right. Unfortunately, it appears that many people think that they are just like Adam, unaffected by a sin nature that they inherited from Adam after the Fall.

One redeemed by Christ's blood,

Ken
    Were it not for grace...

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, Satan did not fall from grace as he was in no need of grace as he was not a fallen human in heaven.

Also, to fall from grace is to rely on keeping the Law for salvation instead of trusting in Christ's finished work alone.

One redeemed by Christ's blood,

Ken
    Were it not for grace...

9. John W Mergel

John W Mergel New Member

To Ray,

To say that we have the ability to choose or even exercise "free will" as you say Adam did would be a clear contradiction of Scripture.
    Please read Romans 5:12-21;6:17-18;8:7,8; Eph 2:1-2. Let us know what you don't understand about these verses. The only thing natural man has in common with Adam is a SINFUL nature and the need for intervention.

Enabled by the Father (John 6:44),
    John W Mergel