1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marine who lost leg returns to combat in Iraq

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by carpro, Apr 10, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24029144/

Marine who lost leg returns to combat in Iraq
    Sniper’s bullet destroyed gunnery sergeant’s knee, but not his will to serve
    Video

April. 10, 2008

If you’ve ever wondered what the Marines have in mind when they advertise for “a few good men,” look no further than Gunnery Sgt. William “Spanky” Gibson.

Two years ago, he lost a leg to a sniper’s bullet in Iraq. Today, he’s back in the combat zone — by his own choice.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Are we so desparate that we'd send a one legged man in to combat?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead of recognizing his devotion to duty, you make fun of his ability and desire to serve.

Real classy.:rolleyes:

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

He did not make fun. He questions why we send a one legged man into combat. Dangerous to the man and his comrades who may have to rescue him. That is indeed desperation.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead of recognizing his devotion to duty, you make fun of his ability and desire to serve.

Real classy.:rolleyes:

It's evident that neither one of you read the article or you wouldn't make yourselves look so foolish.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he's got some kind of back office base job that doesn't put him in danger, or cause him to be a liability to others.
    And I agree, you did not make fun of him.

That said, he is still an inspiration.

Not many Marines or soldiers will do the same thing, and that is not meant to belittle anyone. It's just a fact of life.

As a matter of fact, the article says there were only two of them in the Corps at this time who did what he did.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations. :applause:

You'd have to actually read the article to know that.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Though it says he has a "back line" job, look at how he got injured;

In May 2006, Gibson was on foot patrol in Ramadi in Iraq when a sniper’s bullet tore through his left knee. “Basically, the bullet disintegrated my kneecap, completely,” he said.

Also, in this type of war there really is no behind the lines. There are no lines. This isn't like WWII where we are advancing toward an objective, this is more like Vietnam where the enemy is all around you. The base can come under rocket or mortar attack at anytime and there will be folks depending on everyone there.

I don't think it's right to the guy potentially next to him in the fox hole that we put him with a onelegged Marine. Return to active duty in the states, certianly yes. War, this is more of an experiment where lives are on the line.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you finally read it! Congratulations.

Yes he was injured on a combat patrol. He won't be making any more of those. But I'd take him as a foxhole mate anytime. I'd be willing to bet that any other Marine would as well.

Still no comment on his dedication to his country and duty, though, from you.

Just artificial concern for his safety or the safety of others.

This is just further illustration that liberals have no appreciation for our military personnel and have absolutely no clue what makes them tick.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I read it the first time. What you talking about Willis?

You are making assumptions here. You have no idea if he has any dedication to this country or if he's just a guy who loves war and killing. This is what the article says;

After spending 12 years in the Army I believe I have some idea what made me tick. Facts are most soldiers fight for the person next to them as opposed to some kind of patriotic cause. I'm not saying this applies to all but certianly most. Then there is that group of psyco's who love the opportunity to kill and mutilate other people, legally. Trust me there are all kinds of people in the military because they are a cross section of our country. You never know why the next guy is in the fox hole but you sure hope he can carry his own weight. You also want Uncle Sam to assure he meets some kind of physical standard since battles don't allow second chances.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Libs cannot stand real patriotism. They must always work to tear it down.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, all the patriotic people thoughout history have all been conservative... :BangHead: